Updating to Release 2014r1.1

We want to update Xojo 2013r4.1 to Xojo 2014r1.1. We tried it in the months before with prior versions.

Our program runs in the old environment. In the new development environment the application crashes.
Also it is not possible to install a german surface (but that isn’t the problem).

Can anybody give me advice, what to do? I think we will not be the one and only who gets this error.

You have to track down a crash. If you’re developing on a Mac, a crash report would be really helpful here. Any chance you’re talking to a database? I’ve heard of a lot of newish crashes in the plugins lately.

Are you using the debugger? That’s what it is there for after all.

Thank you for your answers. We had debugged the program with Xojo 2014r4.1. We are developing on a windows workstation a web application. The database is the same, as before. We didn’t changed anything on the database. We are using MySQL. The program is working, if it is compiled with Xojo 2013r4, and now it doesn’t working compiled with 2014r1.1.

Does nobody knows this behaviour or are we the one and only user who has this failure?

With the new version for us isn’t possible to install a german surface. Is that an indicator for a wrong installation? Or doesn’t Xojo support different languages any more?

We stopped localizing Xojo for many languages starting with 2013r4: http://www.xojo.com/blog/en/2013/12/since-around-2000-the-ide.php

I think you’ll need to more clearly define “now it doesn’t work” in order to get much help. Does it crash? Is there an exception? Does it not launch? Be specific.

[quote=90009:@Torsten Grube]Thank you for your answers. We had debugged the program with Xojo 2014r4.1. We are developing on a windows workstation a web application. The database is the same, as before. We didn’t changed anything on the database. We are using MySQL. The program is working, if it is compiled with Xojo 2013r4, and now it doesn’t working compiled with 2014r1.1.
[/quote]

Got it, but now it “crashes”. One of two things is going on. (1) You’re getting an unhandled exception in the main thread (app). Implement the UnhandledExcception event of the app to write a message out to a file, perhaps with the stack crawl of the exception, to determine if this is going on. (2) It’s actually crashing.

If it’s (2), just on recent experience here, I would immediately suspect the MySQL plugin. First off, make sure you’re using one connection per WebSession, not trying to share a single connection. Second, make sure you’re iterating over RecordSets locally and tightly. Copy data out to an array of dictionaries if you need to keep it around. Third, wrap all your database calls with file logging that logs before and after a query and RecordSet iteration. If MySQL is the problem, when your app crashes, the log will show where a query started and didn’t finish before the crash.

Some general advice based on seeing recent problems with the database plugins, if this turns out to be a MySQL plugin issue for you. Buy the MBS SQL (or complete) and use that instead of the Xojo Database API. It’s different, but it has a better, widely used, foundation. If you run into problems, Christian has the ability to be more responsive to them than the Xojo Feedback system.

What if you’ve updated to 1.1 twice from the built-in popup updater and no “2014 1.1” folder exists in c:\program files(x86)\Xojo\… Only 2014 r1 exists? The updater shows every few weeks…(3rd time now) I just assumed the version string was probably wrong and awaiting another release…as long as it works I don’t care what version it is of 2014. :slight_smile: perhaps I’ll try the download package from the site instead of the updater. …

Thank you all.

It’s sounds very complex. Our application has approximatly 70 - 100 sql queries and executions. We will not get the time to improve exception handling or changing MySQL plugin in this dimension. We will program in the old version further.
It is really strange, that we are the only user who has this problem. That is the reason, why we will give up.

@thorsten: sorry to be so blunt but yours is probably the worst problem description I have seen in a long while. “The app crashes”. Do you really expect people to be able to tell what is going on from such a description? You haven’t even said how it crashes. What is the error message? What does the debugger say? Have you implemented some exception handling? Do you properly test for nil everywhere etc?

As it is you are just wasting everyones time.

So go to http://documentation.xojo.com/index.php/Introspection, read on that page about how to implement some exception handling, and then come back with the info people need to help. The Xojo people are very helpful, but you really need to provide much more info than you did.

Ehhhh. I’ve really changed my thinking about this of late. If you have an app that generally works and updating Xojo causes it to crash, there ought to be someone lined up very interested in getting to the bottom of it, and there isn’t. This kind of bug is invariably time consuming to isolate and beyond the capabilities and or limits of sanities of most Xojo users.

I’d wager $100 it’s a regression in the MySQL plugin but it would cost 5x that in my time to prove it :-).

if it actually crashes and generates a crash log or crash report even that would be useful

but since i don’t even know what platform this is on I’m grasping at straws

we get many reports of “crashes” that aren’t

[quote=90372:@Norman Palardy]but since i don’t even know what platform this is on I’m grasping at straws
[/quote]

Windows workstation, web application, MySQL.

Here a short description of the behaviour: We installed a new version of Xojo and opened our current xojo project. Than we pressed “Run”. The application was starting, we were able to log in. After log in, the Browser shows Message “Teamteo funktioniert nicht mehr” (in german language). I don’t know the english translation (Teamteo doesn’t answer any more). It’s a typical windows program failure message.

If we are doing the same with the older version of Xojo (2013r4.1) everything is running fine !!!

What I will do now, I will install a new version of MySQL and of Xojo on an other windows workstation. Hopefully it works. I will try to report this in this thread in the next two weeks

Thanks all for your answers and tipps.