Updating an app in the MAS

I have updated this app previously in the MAS, but Apple tries to keep us all on our toes by constantly changing the procedures. Where do I click to provide an update to an App already in the store? The apple help docs say “To update your app, go to the App Summary page in My Apps and click New Version. Provide the new version of the app.” I see the “My Apps” icon and can see my 4 apps listed. I have looked and looked and looked but cannot find any link that says “New Version” Help appreciated

On the left-hand side of the App page in iTunes Connect, I see a + with a circle with the text “VERSION” next to it. It looks like you have to click that to create a new version.

Thanks, Paul. I see that circle and “Version” but it is disabled. No amount of clicking around the page would enable it. I had version 3.0.0 of this app rejected previously. I tried pressing “resubmit” hoping I would have a chance to submit a new binary, but just got an immediate email stating “invalid binary”. At this point I am at a total loss. The apple “contact us” page is no help at all. Does anyone have a contact number for Apple Developer? I would be willing to pay for help just to get this new version submitted.

Maybe you have already created an Update in iTunes Connect?

Thanks, Sascha, but nope. The reject was a year ago and I have not submitted anything since.

I have found out that creating a brand new app, for instance with the version number in the name, gives it an extra boost because as a new app, it gets special listing for a whIle, which is precious in the ocean of apps.

You know, Michel, that might just be the way to go here. Can I then withdraw the old version 2?
Thanks for the idea.

[quote=227834:@Roger Clary]You know, Michel, that might just be the way to go here. Can I then withdraw the old version 2?
Thanks for the idea.[/quote]

To withdraw an app, click on Pricing, then uncheck all countries. That will remove the app.

@Michel Bujardet
Does it mean that old users will have to buy the app again? Or have I missed the point.

Yes, Carlo. If I go that route, that means that previous purchasers would be stuck at the last version updated (v.2 in my case). However, there are some significant changes in this new version (v. 3) which might warrant it being released as a new app. These are the sort of business decisions one should make carefully.

Got the idea. Thanks.

This wouldn’t be the first time such a thing has happened
Pages, Numbers etc were all new purchases each time for several releases
Now Apple has so much money they just give those away :slight_smile:

There is a way for your older app to climb the charts; it requires having a significant amount of users and updating it regularly, once you start getting 10,000s of updates you start climbing the top lists again.

I found this by accident when we updated Shine, which had the offending UTIs, so Apple rushed out the fixed version and we ended up with over 9,000 ‘updates’ in a few days and Shine climbed in sales ranking, then gained some new sales.

But I give you, that for regular cases it’s a bust.

The usual model today in the MAS or not is that point releases are free updates, and number releases are new products. I see that from CrossOver to antiviruses, to backup utilities, whatever, I purchased the new versions last week alone. As much as I like to cocoon my customers, one should not lose sight of the target for going through all the pains and jumping all Apple hoops : making the best possible living from software sales. Free updates forever is IMHO foolish.

Yes sir, it is.

MAS needs a better way to offer paid updates, or at the very least a subscription model like Xojo. Even then, without re-listing it can be hard to make updates visible. We accidentally stumbled across what we did with Shine and I’ve tried to replicate it with another application that’s had over 10,000 downloads. Trouble is, there’s not enough daily downloads to push it up the list :frowning:

[quote=227973:@Sam Rowlands]Yes sir, it is.

MAS needs a better way to offer paid updates, or at the very least a subscription model like Xojo. Even then, without re-listing it can be hard to make updates visible. We accidentally stumbled across what we did with Shine and I’ve tried to replicate it with another application that’s had over 10,000 downloads. Trouble is, there’s not enough daily downloads to push it up the list :([/quote]

Another thing I have done with my iOS app is to make it free to boost downloads, then go back to pay for. But until I figure a way to do in app purchase in iOS, returns will remain limited.

Don’t know about iOS, but on OS X, I’ve still to figure out a way of getting a return on IAP. We have 3 apps that use IAP, and they’re the worst performs (monetary wise) of all our apps on the AppStore.

I’m going to keep trying with IAP and it’s the only way to really provide a trial version, of sorts.

[quote=228194:@Sam Rowlands]Don’t know about iOS, but on OS X, I’ve still to figure out a way of getting a return on IAP. We have 3 apps that use IAP, and they’re the worst performs (monetary wise) of all our apps on the AppStore.

I’m going to keep trying with IAP and it’s the only way to really provide a trial version, of sorts.[/quote]

In terms of trial version, it is fairly easy to point users to your own site. But I think the main advantage of the MAS is precisely the money up front model. Since I placed my apps in the MAS, I enjoyed a nice and steady little business with apps that did not use to sell as much on my web sites, even with evaluation versions.

I was extremely hopeful from iOS, which has five to ten times the number of users as OS X. It may be that my app is irrelevant, since it is no Candy Crush or Flappy Bird. At present, when I set the app free, it gets around 5000 downloads a day. But as soon as I set it to the fated $0.99 it goes to three sales a week. In terms of shareware, that is way below the accepted rate of 2 registrations per a hundred downloads.

Being pragmatic, with such low potential, I have all but given up.

I keep my hopes with the Windows Store next year when it will accept Win32 apps. With some luck, it can be a nice addition. At present, it does about ten times less than the MAS for the same font titles I made in 2013 with VB, but compared to dismal iOS, that is a fantastic success.