Updating a component (basicstr.cpp) of an old app's bundle without recompiling?

I have an anti-spam app on my Mac that I absolutely love (SmapSweep). Been using it for years and it’s been great.

However, the developer seems to have moved on to other things so I can’t ask him to fix this recent problem that is making it less and less useful…

Several times a day, the anti-spam app will throw a Runtime Error and stop filtering any further messages until the Error dialog is manually acknowledged. When I’m on the road, this is a big problem.

The message dialog is:
Location: /Volumes/RBUS/REALbasic/REALbasic Xcode/…/…/Common/basicstr.cpp:3498
Failure Condition: theStr.Encoding() == kEncodingUTF8 or theStr.Encoding() == kEncodingUTF16 or theStr.Encoding() == kEncodingASCII
Failure Message: Please report what caused this error along with all of the details above.

It alternates this error with basicstr.cpp:3575

I assume that spammers are stuffing unknown/illegal character set definitions into their messages to mess with the detection engines.

My questions are:

1. Is the basicstr.cpp a “stock” C++ module that ships as part of the RB/Xojo library?
  2. Can I copy a newer version of this module (that hopefully will handle these problems) into the app’s bundle from another app’s bundle?

I’m running the current Xojo under OS X 10.10.4 and have RealBasic licenses going waaaay back (in case this module isn’t used any more).

Anyone know?

Thanks!
…/j

I don’t have an answer for the question you asked, but I wanted to add that if you use Google for your email you will have zero problems with spam. Google filters it all perfectly for me.

you can’t really patch the xojo runtime dll.

interesting I have RealBasic/Studio/Xojo going back to 2007, and there is no such file anywhere on my OSX computer… there are other .CPP files in the XOJO directories, but not that one

It is code we wrote that is compiled into the runtime

[quote=203226:@John Charlesworth]2) Can I copy a newer version of this module (that hopefully will handle these problems) into the app’s bundle from another app’s bundle?
[/quote]
No
Binary compatibility of runtimes does not exist.
You can NOT take a runtime from a newer version of Xojo & insert it into an app compiled with a different version.

If the developer doesn’t update it you’re SOL

A quick search on the Internet shows articles back in 2009 for version 1.61, but nothing since.

There is also a rather poorly built web site at http://www.spamsweep.co.uk where there are apparently products with no description, and a ‘Free 30 days trial’ under the face of a stupid phone operator that leads to a broken page. Not even the buy buttons work.

They are just as clueless as a spammer !

Bainsware.com which according to the old forum is the publisher, still exists, but the only product they seem to sell is ShareTool. Nevertheless, you may want to contact them through support@bainsware.com After all, maybe they would accept to sell the source ?

You should really consider using GMail. I have been with since it came to be, and been 99.9% spam free ever since.

Alternatively, AOL is pretty good, but not quite.

I dislike GMail since they scan all your mail, its part of their terms of service, and then you get spam ads and emails because they scanned your email

I get more crap on my gmails accounts because of this than all of my other accounts combined

I do not get more than one or two spams a week with GMail. But the issue of confidentiality is a real one. Any user of GMail should know that it is not confidential at all. But heck, any hosted email can be peeked into.

With AOL, I get about 6-10 spams a week.

With my regular accounts, some get up to 40 spams a day.

Some anti-viruses pretend filtering spams, but they do not seem to do much better than filters I set myself.

I never tried the specialized anti spam products.

All of my spam ends up in the Spam folder with Gmail.
I haven’t unintentionally read a spam email in years. I like to read the interesting ones…

They scan email for content, not to read it or send you things - they only affect the ads on the web interface. If you use IMAP with Gmail you will never see those targeted ads.

I do use imap
Still get spammed from ever newer email marketers targeting me based on my interests in software development
Go figure

You’re right, Navdeep Bains is the author (www.bainsware.com) but I have not had any success hearing from him in the past few years…

Too bad – SpamSweep has the most accurate Bayesian filter I’ve found.

It works great even for email addresses that have been active for 20 years (I get >1,000 spam messages per day). Because they use my corporate domain name, using gmail.com email addresses is not the look I’m striving for. For personal stuff, gmail sounds like a great solution.

I’ll try getting a hold of Navdeep again…

Thanks again all,
…/john

[quote=203331:@John Charlesworth]You’re right, Navdeep Bains is the author (www.bainsware.com) but I have not had any success hearing from him in the past few years…

Too bad – SpamSweep has the most accurate Bayesian filter I’ve found.

It works great even for email addresses that have been active for 20 years (I get >1,000 spam messages per day). Because they use my corporate domain name, using gmail.com email addresses is not the look I’m striving for. For personal stuff, gmail sounds like a great solution.

I’ll try getting a hold of Navdeep again…

Thanks again all,
…/john[/quote]

For a professional address, you can redirect mail to a Gmail address, and you can set that GMail address to send under your address at the domain name. In that case it is probably good to open an account just for that.

Ideally, though, if you could get in touch with the author and get the source code of SpamSweep, that would be the best. Actually this would be a product I would love to have in my catalog.

He had a lot of good press at the time. I wonder why he gave that up.