Update 2019R1.1 to 2021R3

Hi everyone :slightly_smiling_face:

I plan to migrate my project from version 2019R1.1 to 2021R3 (latest).

Based on your experience, do you know if certain functions that work well with the 2019R1.1 version can cause unexpected bugs with the 2021R3 version ?

I’m not talking about changes detected by the compiler (eg changing ‘FolderItem Absolutepath’ by ‘Nativepath’) but functions that might give unexpected results.

Thanks for your advices.

Which platform are you developing for?
I’ve just picked up a Linux Lite license as I target Linux desktop and haven’t found an issue with that.

Linux

I’m not having any issues with Linux apps in 2021 R3

Was your application developed directly with 2021R3 or updated from older version ?

Watch out for the string indexes. Things like String.Mid(...) will still work but you will be prompted to convert it to String.Middle(...). The older string routines had a 1-base index while the newer ones have a 0-based index.

2 Likes

Apps updated from 2018r3 and 2021r2

1 Like

Thanks for your advice, Dale.

Thanks Adam.

It’s not just limited to string indexes, other functions may change their index from 1 to 0. I wish there was a list somewhere that showed which indexes changed throughout the language.

It’s not just limited to string indexes, other functions may change their index from 1 to 0

Another reason I keep putting off changing code from API1 to 2
It’s literally asking for a raft of unexpected bugs to be introduced, if you don’t spot every instance where the index is critical.

With API2, is there an index that does not start at 0?

All index changes need to be tested.