Unusable

For the last several days I have been trying to set up an iPad layout and it been impossible. The layout has 83 controls, mostly label and fields. Every time I move a control then run the debugger it will move other controls. Sometime completely off the layout. When I put them back then run the debugger they will be moved again.

Have tried using the Auto-Layout thing but it make no sense, what the “Parent”?, how can it be set? Two control that may be next to each other have what looks like different parents. DOES NOT COMPUTE!

What will happen when an existing layout has to be modified, like with a new controls. Will this kind of stuff happen?

Where does this “Auto-Layout” concept come from, is this a Mobile Device thing or what?

Think the best thing for me is wait for the next release, or later.

Read: http://xojo.helpdocsonline.com/getting-started-with-ios
It explains a lot.

[quote=152299:@Jim Smith]Have tried using the Auto-Layout thing but it make no sense, what the “Parent”?, how can it be set? Two control that may be next to each other have what looks like different parents. DOES NOT COMPUTE!

[/quote]

Parent is just the same as screen(0). So for all intents and purposes, if you make a control left relative to parent left, it is the same as desktop Left. Same thing for top. Vertically, though, it is better to make top relative to TopLayoutGuide.Bottom, which is pretty much Screen(0).AvailableTop.

Same thing for the bottom where BottomLayoutGuide.Top, which is the bottommost available area when a tab bar is used.

[quote=152299:@Jim Smith]Where does this “Auto-Layout” concept come from, is this a Mobile Device thing or what?
[/quote]

It is indeed a mobile concept that you will find in XCode as well, necessary to manage elegantly the device rotation.

It is not that alien, though. To much extent, the desktop locking mechanism is just the previous evolutionary step. For instance, setting a right constraint in Autolayout produces the same effect as the right lock in desktop.

May I suggest that instead of laying out a full compliment of 83 controls on the view, you start in a smaller project with one, and just play with it, run and rotate the device in the simulator to see what it does, and soon you will get the hang of it. Then you can make controls relative to each other, not unlike the spacing feature in desktop, and that ensures they do not move in erratic directions.

Thanks Michel and jason, that helps.