Unit Testing

Greetings!

I came, somehow, very late in the game to the realization of unit testing. It sounds… fascinating. I’m still trying to wrap my mind around its benefits versus the obvious time cost.

Is someone here, experienced in unit testing, willing to give a real world account of what’s so useful about unit testing? Maybe an example? I’m really hoping for something beyond abstract definition, as that’s what’s littered around the internet. Suggestions of resources would also be appreciated.

Thanks! This seems like a concept many could benefit from. :slight_smile:

hope this helps
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa292197(v=vs.71).aspx

You might also want to check out User Guide Book 4: Development, Chapter 6 : Unit Testing. And take a look at the XojoUnit unit testing framework included Xojo in Examples/Unit Testing.

1 Like

Thank you for the resources, gentleman. It seems like unit testing is a generic way of doing what I’ve done for a long time. Often, I’d pull a method/algorithm/etc. from the body of my main program, then make a new program that tests the code from various angles. Good to know I wasn’t entirely missing out on something. :slight_smile: