Unchanged files having changes continues to boil my backside ...

Create a new project
Add a new class - Class1
Set its super to “Foobar”
Save
Quit the IDE
Start the IDE
load that project back up
What types does Class1 have from class “foobar” ?

Really - been here done this and fixed a LOT of problems but some are WAY more than simple fixes

[quote=492875:@Norman Palardy]Create a new project
Add a new class - Class1
Set its super to “Foobar”
Save
Quit the IDE
Start the IDE
load that project back up
What types does Class1 have from class “foobar” ?

Really - been here done this and fixed a LOT of problems but some are WAY more than simple fixes[/quote]
Right, so even loading things “in order” doesn’t help in this case.

As an ex-engineer, I sympathize. But as a user, I’m very bothered by this. I just want to open my project, save, and clearly see what has changed. It’s important. I review every change in every file before I commit, and these changes seriously detract from my ability to do that. I shouldn’t have to run a multi-minute IDE script to get my project back to a correct state.

I understand. Unfortunately, this IDE behavior is a real time eater and “robs the fun” out of the CVS. :slight_smile:

I strongly encourage you to go to the Feedback case I linked and grab the script. It’ll fix your project, but needs to be run each time the project has been opened. But it’s better than the other options.

I fully understand
I also ran into this working on the IDE and now on client projects

There are days where the right answer feels like “screw it just commit it all” as the IDE will sort out the “True” vs True ones
But I get why that is problematic as well

Wish I could say more but …

Thank you :slight_smile:

I’m still frustrated by the fact that it’s more than 14 years old - at least.

How long do you have to deal with getting cold water from the hot tap before you tear into the wall and reverse the water lines?

[quote=492933:@Tim Jones]I’m still frustrated by the fact that it’s more than 14 years old - at least.

How long do you have to deal with getting cold water from the hot tap before you tear into the wall and reverse the water lines?[/quote]
But in this case you have to reverse them all the way back to the Water Co’s premises. Or possibly back to Hetch Hetchy.

Whoo Who! Another FUBAR’d Saturday morning - 19r3.2 is even WORSE - I know the claim is that only changes to allow the IDE to run on Big Sewer (cool, I typed S u r and even Apple’s autocorrect pokes fun at their name!), but the quote/non-quote changes are far worse. And that was on macOS!

EVERY file that’s saved with my current project is now marked as changed and the diffs are all quotes versus non-quotes. All that I changed in the project was the short version and the build number …

)-:

I had a 3rd party firm consulting team come in last week (at a cost of $2,500) and estimate both man hour costs and simple overhead if I were to put a stake in the ground and completely dump Xojo and move to a more stable JavaFX environment (whoever thought that “stable” and “Java” would ever be a pair of words used together in the same statement?). At the best, I’m looking at an external team for 4 months and around $100K, at worst, over $250K in training and downtime for my existing team.

This is what the useless shifts to API 2,0 and Web2.0 has the potential to cost my organization.

I certainly hope that Xojo’s revenues have jumped to 4-5x those numbers to justify what these two unnecessary changes have caused for a long term customer.

I have a few choice words that I would have added to those comments above, but the forum nanny would have censored them. I think my 12 gauge, and couple of boxes of shells, and I need to drive out to the desert and destroy some stuff …

Why did you move to API2.0? (no answer needed).
My projects are still API1. And when I have to start a new project, I create it in 2019r1.1, save it and quit; then reopen it in a newer version.

[quote=497948:@Carlo Rubini]Why did you move to API2.0? (no answer needed).
My projects are still API1. And when I have to start a new project, I create it in 2019r1.1, save it and quit; then reopen it in a newer version.[/quote]
I didn’t. These are not new projects, but projects that have been brought forward through time from REAL.Studio.
My comments on API/Web 2.0 are about what Xojo is focused on instead of fixing what’s still broken in their original environment.

I’m late to this party and haven’t read through the whole thread yet, but before I saw this particular lines I was thinking, “what’s the issue” but seeing this highlights the fact the two are in fact no way equal. “True” is a string literal and True is a Boolean and never the could/should the IDE consider otherwise.

Likewise, “2” is very different to 0x02h which is only a little different to 2.0f :wink:

Never has JSON and XML looked so good. But I guess this is a problem in all project formats or just text based projects?

Going back to continue reading the thread. (On mobile and not as simple as scrolling forward and backwards and multiple tabs. Will mobile computing ever be good enough? Lol)

The problem also shows up in xml bases projects. Change a file. Save 100 files in SVN.

[quote=497955:@Dave Matthews]I’m late to this party and haven’t read through the whole thread yet, but before I saw this particular lines I was thinking, “what’s the issue” but seeing this highlights the fact the two are in fact no way equal. “True” is a string literal and True is a Boolean and never the could/should the IDE consider otherwise.

[/quote]
The problem is that this is where the changes are occurring - one time, the value will be saved as the boolean True and the next the same value will be saved as the string “True”. No logic behind it at all; and it’s highly inconsistent.

The whole issue is bizarre.

For a start, the IDE shouldn’t be writing out files for classes that haven’t been touched.

The second is why the values are sometimes being quoted and sometimes they are not. Its as if the IDE is using Variants and some parts are assigning the boolean values as a string and other places are setting them correctly as booleans.

Ding ding ding ding! Yes, Variants are used for these values. That’s where all these issues stem from. If you look at the text format, properties are not written out with any type information. That means the IDE has to infer what to do with each.

But … shouldn’t the IDE know that “Enabled” for a Button entry would be a Boolean - Variant or not?

The obvious question is why after all of this time are the types not being written to disk. I don’t think the problem could ever be solved until this first step is taken.