Ubuntu & Raspberry Pi 4?

Hey, has anyone gotten an Xojo app to run under Ubuntu?

Thanks,

A.J.

I guess Xojo it does run under Ubuntu on a Raspberry Pi. Thatā€™s good news.

Any tips on making that happen? Iā€™ve used Xojo for years but Iā€™m new to Ubuntu.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

A.J.

My projects generally ā€œjust workā€ on out-of-the-box Ubuntu, Mint and some others. There are some Linux distros where one might have to install libunwind, which is a non-negotiable requirement. Some projects might require other libraries like libwebkitgtkā€“which again will just be there on Ubuntu.

Edit: To make it clear, Iā€™m talking about my projects, both built and remote-debugged. I do not run the Linux Xojo IDE, if thatā€™s what you mean.

Hey @Jerry_Fritschle,

Thanks very much for responding.

Well, I must be doing something stupid. I built for Linux ~ ARM 32-bit on my PC and then I transfer the app folder (including the libs folder) onto the Pi running Ubuntu. Open the apps folder open the Xojo app and I get: ā€˜There is no application installed for executable filesā€¦ā€™

What simple thing am I missing?

[edit] Yes, just trying to get my projects running on Ubuntu not the IDE.

Thanks very much,

A.J.

Offhand, right-click on the app file to get Properties. Make sure it has executable permissions.

I tried that. :frowning:

Man, I sure would like to get this working. Maybe you could send me one of your apps and I can see if I can get that running on Ubuntu. Youā€™ve been able to get this to work so Iā€™m excited to figure this out.

Would screen shots from me help?

I think Ubuntu for Raspberry PI 4 is 64 bit maybe ??

And Xojo only compiles 32 bit arm currently.

1 Like

Good thought. On my Pi I am running Rasberry Pi OS (which Xojo only officially supports), not Ubuntu. All of my Linux systems are VMs on my Mac.

As to 64-bit Ubuntu, I believe that 32-bit libraries are an optional install.

@Jerry_Fritschle,

So youā€™ve never gotten a Xojo project running under Ubuntu?

A.J.

On 32-bit and 64-bit Intel, I do it all the time. The question here is ARM Ubuntu on a Pi. As Bjƶrn said, that will likely be a 64-bit system, whereas the Debian-based Pi OS on my machine is 32-bit. You may have to see if yours has 32-bit libraries, since I donā€™t believe your Ubuntu installation provides them out-of-the-box.

Got cha! Thanks again for all the information!

Can you do ā€œunameā€ in the terminal and past the output here it may help.