Ubuntu 13.10 32bit libraries

Hello Xojo gurus,

I just repaved my machine to install Ubuntu 13.10 64bit, and I’m trying to get Xojo working again. I went to install the 32bit libraries, but I get this:

[code]kcully@kevin-Samsung:/opt/xojo/xojo2013r31$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Package ia32-libs is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32bz2-1.0

E: Package ‘ia32-libs’ has no installation candidate
[/code]

I tried to install the suggested packages, but it was still a no-go.

Trying to run Xojo, I get:

kcully@kevin-Samsung:/opt/xojo/xojo2013r31$ ./Xojo ./Xojo: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I probably just need to point to the correct package, but which one?

Does this work:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch

(Thanks to Fred Roller)

Here’s what I’m getting:

kcully@kevin-Samsung:~$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done E: Unable to locate package ia32-libs-multiarch

Side note: There is a type on this page: System Requirements

[quote]NOTE: On 64-bit Debian Linux installations the ia32-libs or the ai32-libs-multiarch package must be installed to run Xojo or applications built with Xojo.[/quote] should be “ia32-libs …

I only have 13.04, so I can’t quite test this. I didn’t get such error there, though.

Have you done a package update?

sudo apt-get update

Fixed.

Sadly, yes. Still getting the message saying:

Oops. Still getting this message:
E: Unable to locate package ia32-libs-multiarch

Make sure you do a “apt-get update” to update your sources.

ia32-libs has been deprecated.

Hello Phillip,

I’ve done the apt-get update and it still can’t find the ia32-libs-multiarch library. This is a fresh install of Ubuntu 13.10 (not an upgrade process) which might be the difference in finding the 32bit libraries.

Hello Kevin,

Tried a new install of Ubuntu 13.10 within a virtualbox. Had same problem with a fresh 13.10 and then Xojo install. But after this

sudo apt-get install lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32bz2-1.0

everything worked again. Xojo starts without any errors. Still using 13.04 on my main computer, but 13.10 should work as well.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Hello Thomas,

I’m running this on bare metal, no VMs. Here’s what I get:

kcully@kevin-Samsung:~$ sudo apt-get install lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32bz2-1.0 [sudo] password for kcully: Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done lib32bz2-1.0 is already the newest version. lib32ncurses5 is already the newest version. lib32z1 is already the newest version. 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 11 not upgraded. kcully@kevin-Samsung:~$ cd /opt/xojo/xojo2013r31/ kcully@kevin-Samsung:/opt/xojo/xojo2013r31$ ./Xojo ./Xojo: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I’m stumped.

There might be missing the libstdc++6 libs. Check with

sudo apt-get install libstdc++6

if there’s the need to (re)install. If you still get error, check output of

sudo ldconfig -v | grep libstdc++.so.6

There’d be a line showing links.

Hello Thomas,

Here’s what I’ve got:

kcully@kevin-Samsung:/opt/xojo/xojo2013r31$ sudo apt-get install libstdc++6 [sudo] password for kcully: Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done libstdc++6 is already the newest version. 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 11 not upgraded. kcully@kevin-Samsung:/opt/xojo/xojo2013r31$ sudo ldconfig -v | grep libstdc++.so.6 /sbin/ldconfig.real: Can't stat /lib/i686-linux-gnu: No such file or directory /sbin/ldconfig.real: Can't stat /usr/lib/i686-linux-gnu: No such file or directory /sbin/ldconfig.real: Path `/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' given more than once /sbin/ldconfig.real: Path `/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' given more than once libstdc++.so.6 -> libstdc++.so.6.0.18 kcully@kevin-Samsung:/opt/xojo/xojo2013r31$

I’m not sure what that means. Help is welcome on how to correct this.

Hello,

I had the same problem. I also tried some of above solutions. My final solution was, that my applications are in the Ubuntu software center. I installed one of these apps. And these installed the necessary libs for other 32 Bit apps. Also the Debugger Stub could be started after the installation. If someone wants to test it. Install “Lin-ProLi”.

Hello Manfred,

That worked! I had to check the box to enable Canonical Partners in the store, but installed Lin-ProLi and then Xojo started. I didn’t fully exercise Xojo just yet, but if it starts, then things are looking good.

Do you know WHY it worked? Perhaps you have something in your .deb wrapper that points to the correct library to be installed with your software? This might be a helpful adjustment for Xojo to make through their .deb package.

Many thanks,
Kevin

Oops, my bad. Last posted solution to this problem was not 100% correct.

Please use this command to get the right libstdc version:

sudo apt-get install libstdc++6:i386

Right (32bit) version is installed, correct paths were set and errors will be gone.

Hello Kevin,

sorry, I don’t know why. I uploaded my application to the store some weeks ago. At this time I didn’t thought about these problems. Ok, 32 Libraries are necessary, but could be installed on 12.04.

Yesterday I updated to 13.10 and tried to install the libs. Because this didn’t worked I thought about my apps. How are they usable on 13.10 with 64 bit. And I tried to install the smallest one. And which surprise, it worked.

I uploaded an archive with the program and the other necessary files to the store. The installer was created by the team of Ubuntu.

I have Linux Mint 15, same problem. But I can’t find Lin-ProLi from software manager or apt-get.
Any other solutions?

Hello,

Lin-ProLi is only in the store of Ubuntu. Maybe you can install this on mint - I don’t know if it works

Since Linux Mint is based on the long-time support version of Ubuntu kernel (LTS 12.04 atm) it can be installed on Mint too. Just download it from this site http://mcrichter.macbay.de/Media/Programme/LinProLi.zip unzip it to a (user) folder and run it from there (lin-proli.app).

Hello,

this installs Lin-Proli, but is not a solution of the problem with the 32 Bit libraries. In my archive are not the libraries. They are only in the installer of the store.