TypeMismatchException – listbox, rowtags, and variant datatype

I’ve got a hierarchical listbox which is filled with a method that puts custom classes in the rowtag (when the folder is added) but which also adds a row to “subtotal” some data represented by the previous folder. I’ve added a string “subtotals” for the rowtag in this row, but was running into problems with the celltextpaint method.

I’d like this row to be a smaller sized font and italic. But I get TypeMismatchException when I try this:

if me.RowTag(row) = "subtoals" Then g.TextSize = 10 g.Italic = True Else End if

I thought maybe this is where Try … Catch comes in, but having never used this before, the solution is eluding me. This next code (and a lot of variantions) is not working.

Try Dim s As String s = me.RowTag(row) Catch e As TypeMismatchException Return True Dim s As String s = me.RowTag(row) if s = "subtotals" Then g.TextSize = 10 g.Italic = True Else End if End Try

So, I tried this and it works, but I wonder if this is the “proper and/or elegant” way to do this:

Dim v as Variant v = me.RowTag(row) if v.Type = 8 Then '8 is the value for "stringvalue" if v = "subtotals" Then g.TextSize = 10 g.Italic = True End if Else End if

It just seems a bit convoluted, so I wonder if there is a better way? But maybe it’s fine to find the variant type and say if it’s “9” (object) then run IsA?

[code]Select Case v.type

Case 9 ’ deal with objects

Case 8 ’ deal with strings

Else

End Select
[/code]

Happy to hear any ideas.

maybe use it ISA operator to make sure the rowtag actually is a stringtype before you do the compare?

I did try “IsA string” but that failed. Should I have tried “IsA stringtype”? Didn’t think of that. I can try in the morning though