Trouble with encodings

Hi!
In my example i want to write a string with one Swedish character “ö” to a binary file and then read it back but it dosn’t work correctly. When i read it back. Instead of “Impössible” i got “Imp??ssible” witch mean that the conversion didn’t work.
In the datafile the string is correct. I tried it without the encodings but the result is the same. What do i wrong?

In the XOJO documentation i can read that i didn’t need to use any conversion when i create and use the file with XOJO.

Dim F1 As FolderItem
Dim File1 As BinaryStream
dim s as string

'Create and save data.
F1= GetFolderItem(“Customer.txt”)
If F1 <> Nil Then
File1 = BinaryStream.Create(F1, True) // Overwrite if exists
File1.Write(ConvertEncoding(“Impössible”, Encodings.UTF8))
'File1.Write(“Impössible”)
File1.Close
End If

'Now the string “Impössible” is in the Customer.txt file
'and the string is correct.

'Open and read data
F1= GetFolderItem(“Customer.txt”)
If F1 <> Nil Then
File1 = BinaryStream.Open(F1, False)
S=File1.Read(File1.Length)
msgbox(S.ConvertEncoding(Encodings.UTF8))
'msgbox(File1.Read(File1.Length))
File1.Close
End If

Try Windows ANSI

when you open and read the file, try:

... S=File1.Read(File1.Length, Encodings.UTF8) ...

You need to use DefineEncoding, not ConvertEncoding:

[code] Dim fi As FolderItem = GetFolderItem(“Customer.txt”)

If fi <> Nil Then

Dim bs As BinaryStream = BinaryStream.Create(fi, True)
bs.Write("Impössible")
bs.Close()

bs = BinaryStream.Open(fi, False) 
Dim s As String = bs.Read(fi.Length).DefineEncoding(Encodings.UTF8)
bs.Close()

MsgBox(s)

End[/code]
String literals in Xojo are UTF8, so there is no need to convert upon writing to the file.
When reading from the file, you first use DefineEncoding and then – if applicable – ConvertEncoding. For example when reading from a file with ISOLatinGreek encoding you would do the following to get it as Xojo string encoded as UTF8:

Dim s As String = bs.Read(fi.Length).DefineEncoding(Encodings.ISOLatinGreek).ConvertEncoding(Encodings.UTF8)

Only when you use TextInputStream / TextOutputStream. When using BinaryStream, you need to set the encoding.

Ossian:
Any special reason why you use BinaryStream for I/O ?

Hi!
Thanks all of you for so quick answers. Eli Ott gave me the right answer… maybe the others answers are correct also.

bs.Read(fi.Length).DefineEncoding(Encodings.UTF8)

But i don’t understand why i have to use that method.
In the documentation under DefineEncoding it says…
“The encoding of all strings created in your application is UTF-8, so you don’t have to use DefineEncoding on them.”

I created the file in XOJO in OS X and i read it back with the same application on OSX.

You are mistaken. String literals are always UTF-8, regardless of what you do with them.

[quote=288749:@Ossian Malm]But i don’t understand why i have to use that method.
“The encoding of all strings created in your application is UTF-8, so you don’t have to use DefineEncoding on them.”

I created the file in XOJO in OS X and i read it back with the same application on OSX.[/quote]
Once you write it out, it is no longer a “string created in your application”. It is now “data that came from someplace else”, namely, from a file on disk. All ties to the string originally created in your application have been severed. It’s a completely new string that Xojo knows nothing about.

This is not correct:

bs.Write("Impössible")   // "Impössible" is already UTF8

[quote=288749:@Ossian Malm]But i don’t understand why i have to use that method.

I created the file in XOJO in OS X and i read it back with the same application on OSX.[/quote]
You misunderstand the docs: strings created in your application means string within the application. Literal strings like Dim s As String = “Impössible”. The string you read back is not a string created in Xojo – it is read from a file, so you need to tell Xojo what encoding it has.

Okej. Thanks Tim and Ott. Thats explained a lot for me. I believed that the encoding information in a binary streams string was the same as in a TextStream.

THANKS

They are the same. Meaning there is no encoding information in the file in either case. You must supply the encoding when you read the string back into your app.