Touch Bar in Xojo

So who is going to create the Feedback case for Touch Bar support? :slight_smile:

Nobody. Once Apple provides an API, there will quickly be a plugin from me, I guess.

I was talking about support in the IDE itself. Party pooper.

The Touch Bar is awesome and very very useful. IMO very innovative how it works with apps.
Pretty cool indeed.

So, you played with it, Christoph ?

No, but did you see the presentation? I mean, this is a truly amazing new feature for sure.

For the IDE is another idea.

But how many IDE users will buy a new Macbook Pro?

[quote=295202:@Christian Schmitz]For the IDE is another idea.

But how many IDE users will buy a new Macbook Pro?[/quote]

I would say over time many will (those that use laptops) and I would not be surprised if they will add this in their desktop keyboards.

Thats a certainty for sure.

Tha API can be found at https://developer.apple.com/macos/touch-bar/

Well, considering that this has 20+ classes, only works on new Macbook Pros, may be 64bit only and requires 10.12.1, who would want to use an MBS Plugin to do this?

Cool, pretty straightforward.

Isn’t this a taskbar that was located at the bottom of the screen just relocated to the keyboard? Does this thing do something on-screen icons or buttons don’t do? Instead of focusing on the screen where your eyes are you have to look at the keyboard and press with a finger instead of mouse click on the screen?

What am I missing? I can not understand the hype around this…

Somehow I think if this was developed by MS the media darlings would have just said… meh…

[quote=295262:@Joseph Evert]Isn’t this a taskbar that was located at the bottom of the screen just relocated to the keyboard? Does this thing do something on-screen icons or buttons don’t do? Instead of focusing on the screen where your eyes are you have to look at the keyboard and press with a finger instead of mouse click on the screen?

Somehow I think if this was developed by MS the media darlings would have just said… meh…[/quote]

First off… has nothing to do with Microsoft… this is a new widget on the upcoming Macbook Pro that replaces the mechanical Function keys (F1-F14] that are there now. It is a small strip OLED touch screen that adapts itself to the software running on the computer (anything from emoji’s, to brightness controls, to autocorrection hints , the list can be endless)…
So yeah, in some cases it replaces/duplicates screen based controls (espeically for something like Safari).

Is it something I am going to go “OMG! This is so freaking wonderful I have to have it NOW?!”… uh… no

[quote=295262:@Joseph Evert]Isn’t this a taskbar that was located at the bottom of the screen just relocated to the keyboard? Does this thing do something on-screen icons or buttons don’t do? Instead of focusing on the screen where your eyes are you have to look at the keyboard and press with a finger instead of mouse click on the screen?

Somehow I think if this was developed by MS the media darlings would have just said… meh…[/quote]

No this is more like Dynamic F-Key bar. That can be so many more things than just buttons.

personally its still … myeh

IMHO MS Surface Studio was the “stand out” announcement this week
Not that I’m likely to buy one but …

I know… I was just surprised how much media attention it was given. I could not reconcile the level of hype and coverage of the feature with what it actually does. I do think it is a “nice” feature that is useful, but think it is overhyped simply because it is Apple.

We’ll see what the development community does with it, it will be interesting.

[quote=295262:@Joseph Evert]What am I missing? I can not understand the hype around this…

Some thoughts, YMMV:

• This is being built in at the OS level. This is not a junky add-on gimmick by some cheap third-party laptop manufacturer.
  • They have already got support from major developers, such as Microsoft (for Office) and Adobe (for Photoshop) and others.
  • Unlike the uncomfortable/unusable scenario of a vertical touchscreen for making adjustments to photos or movies, as an example, the Touch Bar is flat and solid, just above the keys your fingers are already at. It’s not floating in the air, being held by two hinges that are inevitably going to bounce as you try to press it, as in the case of a touchscreen laptop.
  • Public APIs, again from the manufacturer of the software and the hardware.
  • I’m saddened they made a chickensh*t move and produced an additional model of the new-style MacBook Pro 13" which has traditional Function keys. Confusing the message.
  • The price hike is substantial.
  • It does seem genuinely useful and extremely flexible. Even Xcode has Touch Bar support. Apple have put a lot of thought and attention into this, expect it on all Macs in the near future.

A touch screen on a laptop is, I’ll agree, of questionable value.
On a convertible device that you sometimes use as a tablet it makes a lot more sense.

The MS Surface Studio does make a compelling argument in their presentations where a large touch screen has a lot of utility.
Like having a giant wacom tablet but on the screen itself.
I can certainly see a lot of areas liking that - artists, architects, video producers etc

For developers ? I think the touch bar and surface studio are myeh at this point. It remains to be seen exactly how useful they will be in that field - but we’re not where those things are aimed anyway.
Developers make up such a tiny fraction of the overall market for computers of all kinds that there’s almost nothing specifically aimed at us.

At this point neither would significantly alter my day to day usage and work style so its not a rush.

Would you guys stop? How am I supposed to convince my wife that this is absolutely earth shattering and will increase my productivity by 400% if you guys keep saying “meh” to it? :slight_smile: