Topic has become 'Apple Battery Issues'

So I bought an iPad Pro to replace an iPad 2 of the same size
Struggling to see why I bothered… does it have something special I missed?
I can use a pen…otherwise it may as well be the same machine.

well, not to much I guess, I got mine like 8 months ago, the 9.7" model and it seems that due to the pen I have a lot of “dots” on the screen that I cannot remove anymore like dents and it looks weird . Overall the pen dies fast , the keyboard is not special and its ok but if I would have to choose again I`d go with Mac book rather than iPad Pro, now depends what are you using for. I have one more project where we get 6 of them and they seem quite happy with them .

Since the untimely pass away of Steve Jobs, Apple is no longer innovative. It seems they rather go for the big money. I hope for Apple that the story will continue but I doubt it.

well indeed I`m thinking even more and more to get the new S8 from Samsung even I hate Samsung, specially with the new apple issues, they just discovered that they intentionally alter the code for old devices so that they behave slower so you are forced to get new one which is no good, but on the other side the downside on android is the low expansion the massive bugs in the code and the versioning support which unfortunately after 2, 3 hardware versions the software does not support it anymore ,so no matter how I put it I still end up with apple due to the software stability .

I’ve got an old iPad Air that’s starting to show its age but since I bought a highly innovative iPhone X this month I’m spoiled and am thinking about waiting for some of those features to come to the iPad line before I upgrade.

Tim Cook was never a product guy. He was the sourcing guy. He seems to be very good with numbers, but has no more inspiration than Amelio did.

As for Jony Ives, he is probably getting too old to stand for what Apple used to mean.

It is so sad, really.

The recent scandal around iOS slowing down older models has a stench of gas oil scandal. It is not more honorable to program obsolescence than to cheat with pollution measurements.

As far as the iPad pro is concerned, it is barely more than the regular iPad, it is nothing like the Microsoft Surface Pro and they have the audacity to call that a computer, when it is barely an app player. With no mouse, no extensions, not even SD cards. Not even a decent scanner (for graphic artists, right). Come on…

If I was a graphic artist, I would probably rather want a 28" Surface Studio than a toyish iPad Pro with it’s minuscule screen.

[quote=366157:@Jeff Tullin]So I bought an iPad Pro to replace an iPad 2 of the same size
I can use a pen…otherwise it may as well be the same machine.[/quote]

Well, if you use https://www.duetdisplay.com to have your iPad serve as a portable second monitor for your laptop, you will notice a difference in latency and refresh rate. The “pro” model chips handle the necessary processing much better.

I was using an iPad Air 2 with Duet, which made both the iPad and my MBP run a little hotter than I’d like (even at the lowest resolution and refresh rate), but replacing the Air 2 with a 12.9 iPad Pro made a big difference. So now I run with Retina resolution on the iPad, at the standard refresh rate and neither machine runs hot anymore.

Granted, the iPad Pro makes for a very expensive portable monitor, but it’s an awesomely slim little package when you want to be portable, and still have two screens where ever you have to work.

It still would be expensive even if it actually WAS a computer.
Buyer’s remorse.

Anyone have a recommendation for a usable 10inch Android machine?
The internet is full of unfamiliar named machines…

[quote=366157:@Jeff Tullin]So I bought an iPad Pro to replace an iPad 2 of the same size
I can use a pen…otherwise it may as well be the same machine.[/quote]
Personally I don’t own an iPad, but the 9.7" iPad Pro has many improvements over the old iPad 2:

• Much, much faster (64-bit, among other improvements in architecture).
  • Supports side-by-side apps, picture-in-picture.
  • True-tone screen.
  • Support for Apple pencil which is way more accurate than a stylus that simulates a finger.
  • Support for smart keyboard. This works as a keyboard and cover and connects to a special port on the side so you don’t have to mess with bluetooth or worry about charging the keyboard separately.

Like I said I’m not an iPad guy and do not want one, but both my wife and mother-in-law have this model. My wife uses it for teaching middle school and has found the pencil, overall speed and advanced app support quite valuable.

My mother-in-law barely uses its features, but we got her that one because of the smart keyboard. Attempting to diagnose bluetooth problems remotely was not something I wanted to deal with.

That’s nonsense. When the battery starts giving up then they run the iPhone slower so that it can still be used, which is the sensible thing to do. After all, the main point of a phone is to communicate.

Running the Hardware at slower speeds to enable it to run longer or even at all has been used for over 20 years. Intel even gave it its own name: SpeedStep, called it a feature, and nobody ever complained about it.

But with Apple the tin foil brigade starts shouting conspiracy and “how could they” and “THEY FORCE YOU …”, and there are always some useful idiots who don’t think and just repeat it. Developers REALLY should be more skeptical.

P.S. There ARE a lot of things you can criticize Apple for. Tax evasion for example (though Google, Facebook, Microsoft etc are just as bad). But for the most part (environment, workers rights, workers payment, childwork, conflict minerals, safety standards, corruption, security, mobile OS updates etc) they are doing MUCH better than the competition, and certainly better than Samsung. But do you EVER hear THEM being crucified on the “altar of public opinion”?

I agree. It is a particularly dirty business for the reason that, AFAIK, it was deliberately hidden ( for obvious reasons ).

Buy an Apple - how slow can you go?

[quote=366178:@Peter Job]I agree. It is a particularly dirty business for the reason that, AFAIK, it was deliberately hidden ( for obvious reasons ).

Buy an Apple - how slow can you go?[/quote]

And Google was sending your location data to their servers from Android phones, even when you had location turned off! They openly admitted that after they were caught. But does anymore make a big deal out of it? No, because it’s not Apple and people like to hate on Apple. In the coming weeks you’ll find out other phones (Android) use the same battery algorithm to reduce clock speed; it’s all part of life with lithium ion batteries. And someone mentioned programmed obsolescence, you mean like Samsung never updating their phones and releasing new phones with the newest OS? It’s all part of business, happens in all aspects of life. By they way, many people still use an iPad 2, which is how many years old now? I still see the iPhone 5 in use, and that’s 5 years old. Gets the latest updates as well. Tell me the last time a 5 year old Android phone received an update. I have no bias when it comes to Apple vs Android. I’m a developer and a phone to me is just another tool I use to make money.

Anyway, back on topic. There are no decent Android tablets, and Android tablet makers have all but given up, with the exception of the horrible cheap no name Android tablets. Samsung would be your best bet for an Android tablet, but again they will never update it.

Your best bet would be to get a decent Chromebook that folds into a tablet and runs apps from the Google Play Store. You can pick up a decent one for 1/3 the price of an iPad Pro with the Pencil and keyboard.

All you are saying is that many businesses do dirty deeds. None should be excused or let off the hook. Samsung did a dirty, so it is OK for Apple to do so? I think not.

No. What is being said is that YOU are unthinkingly or deliberately repeating a misrepresentation of the facts.

Which is particularly strange after I wrote a clarification. Consequently you are simply trolling.

[quote=366186:@Markus Winter]No. What is being said is that YOU are unthinkingly or deliberately repeating a misrepresentation of the facts.

Which is particularly strange after I wrote a clarification. Consequently you are simply trolling.[/quote]

Oh rot! Where were buyers informed of this wonderful feature at purchase time? Was it on the box, in any of the documentation? If so, fair enough: else a clear and present dirty.

You Apple fanbois are so sensitive - all such underhanded practices should be exposed, no matter the company committing them.

I need just one story of an iPhone user being advised by their apple store that a battery replacement will fix the speed problem on your device and then I will believe that this wasn’t a marketing scheme to cell more devices. Just one will do.

Google offers the Pixel C which is comparable in terms of resolution to the iPad Pro but with a 10" screen only. The nice thing about Google hardware is that it updates the system just like iOS, whereas Samsung does not updates to the latest version.

Since Xojo is going to generate Android, having a solid Android tablet will be necessary to test programs before uploading to the Google Play Store. Having a machine with the latest version of the system is IMHO the best way to avoid it becoming obsolete too soon.

https://www.lifewire.com/best-android-tablets-4047805

Honestly, there is no equivalent to the iPad Pro in the Android world.

The real competitor to the iPad Pro in terms of graphics is not any Android hardware, but the Microsoft Surface Studio, which is the closest to the drawing table metaphor with it’s 28" reclinable screen which enables the very same kind of work. Anybody who’s worked all so little on a real drawing table will never consider a 13" tablet like a full fledged tool. Maybe like a pad, but after all, is it not the name of the product ?

To be honest, for developers like us, the iPad pro may be nice to verify software actually works fine, but all the extra graphic hoopla is not a decisive advantage.

That’s basically what I found.
Does the software work ? Yes. Tick.
Is the machine better?
My wife says she can see that it scrolls more smoothly. Yay. Not worth £600

I would rather spend all day in the ‘Small world’ ride at Disney.

I will NEVER be the person who uses a tablet instead of a laptop , while I remain in business - the tablet is not ‘for me’
I wish to write Android apps for tablets.
Maybe I should just get a no-name tablet and write for that , if that’s what ‘the people’ own.
I don’t need an iPad Pro equivalent.
I want a machine that represents what is most commonly used ‘out there’
Probably KitKat.

If you want a relatively inexpensive tablet that is “the de facto standard”, go for a 9.8" Samsung Galaxy tablet.

They start around £130.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=samsung+galaxy+tablet

And you’re still trolling :slight_smile: