Toolbar text (desktop version)

Hello,

i try to place the text under the toolbar icons. That works and is standard in the IDE.
But on runtime the text is on the right side of the icons.

I read something from Caption = ChrB(08), but it doesn’t work.
I got only a unreadable sign.
What’s wrong?

Chrb = binary
Chr() is string

I know. But the text is still on the right side.
Who can help?

Don’t use the Xojo IDE as an example. We created a custom toolbar using a canvas on Windows and Linux to be able to support dynamic spacing, just like macOS does. I believe what you are seeing is the “native” toolbar for the platform you are on.

Why using a Control character in your Caption string ? (ChrB(08))…

Control-8 is a Backspace…

That’s possible. I use the Xojo IDE. The menue doesn’t work in that case, so i have to use the toolbar. But it seems that this toolbar can’t be used? I tried for days to create a working toolbar. But i think it’s better to create a hand-made toolbar?

@Emile Schwarz -> https://forum.xojo.com/10337-toolbar-without-caption/0

I deleted this rubbish toolbar and prepared my own one with a set of canvas, visual effects with mousemove, -down and -exit. That works pretty good and is free adjustable. With bevel buttons it doesn’t work properly. Different views on Linux / Windows and a border …

Peter: what worked in 2014 may no more work five years later

Back to your original question:

[quote=441421:@Peter Marx]I read something from Caption = ChrB(08), but it doesn’t work.
I got only a unreadable sign.
What’s wrong?[/quote]
You are using a Control character (Backspace) in a String (as I already wrote).

At first, before reading ChrB(8), I wanted to ask if you used a \tab character in the Caption string, then I read the last block of text in the original question.

Now, maybe that trick was working with Xojo 2014…

Have-you tested the Toolbar examples from the Example folder ?

2015r1:

2019r1.1:

What platform are you building the app for Peter ?