To build or not to build ...

Just worked my way through the DeskTop tutorial and got all the way to the end without a problem. When I try to “Build” the example app however, I get a “You need a build license in order to build this project Would you like to purchase one”? dialog. Is this right? I thought XoJo permitted unlimited development for personal use. Can anyone tell me why I might be getting this message? Thanks in advance.

You can develop apps to your hearts content. But if you want to deploy a stand-alone app, you need a build license.

Perhaps then I do not understand what all “build” entails. My impression was that to “build” an application was to compile and link it into a single executable. If this is right, I take it one cannot do this with XoJo without buying a license? It doesn’t say anything about this in the “Building a Standalone App” tutorial. It just says to build the app by clicking on . . .

The FREE version requires you run your app inside the IDE… the PAID license allows you to BUILD a stand alone executable that can be deployed to other computers without the need for the IDE

This way you can write any app you want… see how XOJO fits, and then decide.

Now I understand. Thank you both.

[quote=21583:@Dave S]The FREE version requires you run your app inside the IDE… the PAID license allows you to BUILD a stand alone executable that can be deployed to other computers without the need for the IDE

This way you can write any app you want… see how XOJO fits, and then decide.[/quote]

Just testing the most recent update on linux with my license expired, and I’m not really sure where to place the DB file when running the app inside the IDE for testing?

Place it anywhere you want (Desktop?) and then create a FolderItem that points to it.

Or use a Copy Files Build Step to copy it to a specific location alongside the app.

Thanks Paul,

I did actually and I still got a code 1 error. What I didn’t realize was that the new database is db.sqlite instead of the old db.rsd.

After fixing the code and changing the extensions I still seem to run into a code 1 error. What could be the problem?
Do I need to recreate a complete new database as db.sqlite or can I simply change the extension or just the reference in the code?

Can you post your code? I’m not sure what “code 1 error” means. Is the Exists property for the FolderItem true? What is the DB error (SQLiteDatabase.ErrorMessage)?

You do not need to create a complete new database. Just pointing a FolderItem to the file is sufficient.

I finally figured it out. For some reason My whole Xojo project is pointing to old an path on an external HD. Error was: DB not in location.