Timeline for LLVM compiler backend?

By no means do I even understand what LLVM is, besides what I read on WIKI. I have heard talk about Xojo moving to compile its apps using this, which I assume will improve code efficiency. (Compiled apps efficiency)

Can anyone comment on when this might be implemented.

Thanks!

XojoScript uses LLVM now. Xojo itself will use it to build apps “in the future”.

Summer 2014, when 64-bit ships.

Thanks for the time estimate.

After years of research, I have finally decided to move from vb6 to Xojo. Going to port 3 applications over time.

Thanks for the feedback, excited to get started on the re-writes.

WP

For me, moving to LLVM is absolutely critical. I write scientific applications, and have tested many of my code segments using Xojoscript, which uses LLVM and allows a minimal but meaningful control over the level of optimization. Those applications that use arrays with two more more subscripts, loops inside of loops, or complicated math functions will benefit significantly. Furthermore, I believe LLVM provides for tradeoff between speed and size, which would be a nice option for all of us. While I do not believe LLVM will ever approach the level of speed enhancement offered by Fortran, the ability of Xojo to generate cross platform code is vastly more important to me. I am very excited that LLVM compilation is coming this summer.

Now if I can just survive the winter in the Northeast. Where is global warming when we need it?

The global warming is here in Germany. We are still waiting for first snow in this winter.

LLVM, well ask them in las Vegas.

There’s no reason why not - in fact given the companies & amount of investment going on to create it I’d expect that it would certainly be able to

However, with compilers there’s usually a trade off among “compile this quickly”, “compile this optimizing for speed” and “compile this optimizing for space”. Usually optimizing for speed or space means things do NOT compile quickly as optimization passes are applied to reduce overall space or run time.

Joe, is that an estimate ( 2014 ) or can I begin ordering a champaign bottle to celebrate?? :slight_smile:

Everything is an estimate until it’s shipped.

Ordering a cool beer to wait then…

[quote=62051:@Christian Schmitz]The global warming is here in Germany. We are still waiting for first snow in this winter.

LLVM, well ask them in las Vegas.[/quote]

no snow in london either…

Not what Dana said???

I used to work for a company where my manager never did budgets & estimates after things were done.
Amazing how accurate you can be when estimates & budgets are approached in an unorthodox fashion :stuck_out_tongue:

Given that we don’t know everything that can or might impact our ability to deliver on a given date they’re all estimates until the day it goes out the door.

For instance, the sudden rejection of apps in the Mac App Store that used QTKit caught all of us off guard.
So we had to divert some time to that for 2014r1 which means other tasks get deferred a bit and that impacts schedules - promised, estimated or otherwise.
Or we continue to ship a version of the IDE and frameworks that leave you guys with no way to build apps for submission.

In this case had we promised a ship date for R1 we’d probably be in hot water as the schedule might have slipped.
Or had we decided on the second option we’d be in hot water when r1 went out.

It’s lose/lose for us to pre-announce hard and fast dates.

Soooo… you’re promising next month?

I have no idea how you got that from what he wrote. Sounds more like next week.

[quote=62049:@Robert Birge]For me, moving to LLVM is absolutely critical. I write scientific applications, and have tested many of my code segments using Xojoscript, which uses LLVM and allows a minimal but meaningful control over the level of optimization. Those applications that use arrays with two more more subscripts, loops inside of loops, or complicated math functions will benefit significantly. Furthermore, I believe LLVM provides for tradeoff between speed and size, which would be a nice option for all of us. While I do not believe LLVM will ever approach the level of speed enhancement offered by Fortran, the ability of Xojo to generate cross platform code is vastly more important to me. I am very excited that LLVM compilation is coming this summer.
[/quote]

The main thing LLVM actually solves for most of us is 64-bit compatibility. That’s becoming a near requirement for web deployment because of trends in storage systems that hosting providers are using. As before, I wouldn’t expect Xojo compiled code to have the best performance for many common hand-optimized tasks, such as those that involve pointer arithmetic. That’s where the plugin capability has been and will likely remain very important. Make your app run in Xojo. Then, if some piece really needs to run fast, make it run fast in C/C++ in a plugin.

YMMV.

I think this comes down (to paraphrase Paul Mason wineries) “all whine before its time” :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=62051:@Christian Schmitz]The global warming is here in Germany. We are still waiting for first snow in this winter.
[/quote]

We can send you some of ours and some cold as well. We’ve had temps as low as around -30 C. Just this week it’s been -26 C.

It hasn’t been this cold here for like 30 years. Have plenty of snow too. If it hadn’t been for the +3 C temps and rain we had a couple weeks ago, we’d have at least another 10 inches of snow still on the ground…

Only -30? Must be nice living in the tropics :stuck_out_tongue:

There is a difference of 60C (108F) between where you and I stay. We had temperatures in the range of 30C (86F) recently.