Thread issue on Xojo

I’ve been moving to Xojo 2013 R4.1 and our code base has been compiled under 2012 r2.1, so this is basically a “port” over.

I did a compile – which I have not done since some early Beta’s with our product, and I’m getting the following:

Any clues here?

Your image did not appear.

Weird… the forum kind of did some strange things on me… Ok, the text is this:

“A thread has attempted to manipulate a user interface element. This can only be done from the application’s main thread.”

A thread cannot touch any native property of a UI element, even if that property doesn’t directly influence the UI. There are already a number of conversation on the forum about this and examples of how to deal with it within the package.

Specifically, look at the Tasks example. In a nutshell, the thread code should do what it does outside the UI, and a Timer can be used to update the UI periodically.

Are the conversations in the new forum or older one?

Thanks by the way!

New ones
See https://forum.xojo.com/6758-why-you-have-to-update-ui-from-a-thread/5#p47944
https://forum.xojo.com/985-again-threads-and-ui-tasks
https://forum.xojo.com/2051-ui-thread-and-method-from-a-module-help

Or search for “thread” and you’ll find a bunch

Using Derk’s class you can still use a custom thread to update UI’s without clashing…the thread acts as a timer…

https://github.com/sworteu/Class_UpdateUIThread

When using dropbox pictures, as far as I know, you must copy the link instead of copying it over with the image tags. It is because you did not grab the direct link but a link to the webpage that displays the image.

[quote=57008:@Oliver Scott-Brown]When using dropbox pictures, as far as I know, you must copy the link instead of copying it over with the image tags. It is because you did not grab the direct link but a link to the webpage that displays the image.

[/quote]
What I did here was I went to your link, clicked ‘Download’, then right clicked on direct download and clicked the option for copying the link address.

Or Right Click “Inspect Element”…Copy Link URL if you use Chrome/Mozilla :slight_smile:

Ugh… I’m going to have to change a lot o “bad” code in my App now… what a pain.

“flaws of old systems are built intentionally into the new systems in the name of compatibility.”.

Excuse me, Gary, I think you very rudely used the Xojo forums, please use please and thankyous. It should get you further in life. Atleast take the time to like people’s comments, as a way of saying thanks but still not enough in my eyes. Be wise.

I’m glad you’ve become the forum moderator and dictator of forum etiquette!!?

If you took the time to read my first response, I’ve already thanked people.

Good day, and happy new year.

[quote=57451:@Gary MacDougall]I’m glad you’ve become the forum moderator and dictator of forum etiquette!!?

If you took the time to read my first response, I’ve already thanked people.

Good day, and happy new year.[/quote]
Ha sorry. I missed that. I like to make sure people are getting thanked for there efforts.

Thanks

Oliver,

You’ll make more friends here if you focus on your own posts and not be so critical of how others post questions / responses.

If people are rude and not thankful, they’ll be hard pressed to be helped.

I also find that most people in the Xojo forum are very nice and friendly – and I’ve contributed help and comments without worrying about being “thanked”. The Xojo team are probably not looking to be “thanked” more than they are just trying to help the people get through issues or have their questions answered.

We’re all very busy and we pay good money for licenses for Xojo – so when we ask questions and get responses, its fairly common for folks to help here “pro bono” and not worry about being “liked” or being “thanked” – its kind of the way forums are usually operated.

For me, its not mandatory that I’m thanked for my help. It’s always nice to have someone thank you, but I don’t look for it.

Regards,
Gary

Thanks for that, Gary. :wink:

Thanks Kem… LOL