This could be a huge opportunity for Xojo.

Seems Microsoft are ending all support for mobile and handheld.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_Mobile

This is going to force millions of companies to move to android handheld barcode scanning /camera devices and tablets in warehouses and delivery companies.

Let’s hope android support in Xojo is enterprise grade!

Slow down - First, we’ve known about the pending death of Windows Mobile for a long time. Second, we’re already seeing Surface and Surface Pro’s replacing the iPad in a number of restaurant chains, police forces, warehousing, and doctor’s offices. The reason for removing “mobile” support is that it’s no longer needed in a Windows ecosystem. The Surface runs real Windows, so all of our Windows apps will work. And, with the increased focus on ARM and Atom processors, Windows will provide support for low-end and embedded devices that no longer require watered down versions of an operating system.

Plus 0.33% and falling at its death isn’t going to translate to affecting Millions of companies. In fact, it barely qualifies as millions of devices. It also doesn’t mean that he existing users will abandon their existing devices on the date of the cessation of support for Windows Mobile. When I think of how many Apple 10.4 and 10.5 PPC systems we current provide licenses for, I would say that maintaining support for the EOL’d platform would be a smart move since every other development platform will be quick in pulling the plug.

The biggest Win (no pun) would be if Apple created an iPad device that ran full macOS…

Or make macOS more iOS like, which I heard they were doing, muhaha :smiley:

I thought Windows Mobile died a long time ago. I for one have not seen any Government agencies or contractors incorporate Windows Mobile devices into new or existing projects, well never :stuck_out_tongue:

i think there are lots of devices out there made by Symbol/Psion/Intermec that are used in the supply chain that used it. the old versions 6.1 and 7 seem very common in warehousing/supermarkets/distribution. i see the old symbol scanners in Asda stores occasionally when they leave them lying around. maybe i’m mistaken though about how many are out there. wouldn’t be the first time!

there are still in France companies selling psion at insane prices. and people buying them …for enterprise use.
completely awful apps inside, completely not user friendly screens and input methods. another century.
you could do better ( and cheaper) with an ipad and a 10 mins xojo programming.

And that is my point about the devices not being discarded just because MS has stopped development on Windows Mobile (and are you sure those weren’t Windows CE?).

In that case, there may be millions of devices out there - but they keep on working.

Or a Surface and that same 10 minutes of Windows Xojo programming (without the iOS headaches).

Yes, you are confused. First of all, last version of “Windows Mobile” was in 2010, Windows Phone and Windows 10 Mobile are different things, intended mainly for smartphones.

Most of the “handheld barcode scanning /camera devices and tablets” never those windows in the first place, they used windows CE, Compact and in some devices with more power used Windows embedded (xp, 7 and 8).

All this market, already has plenty of windows 10 options to choose, Windows 10 IOT, LTSB, LTSC, etc.

And yes, As others said, also with more powerful devices, a lot of applications just use the normal pc architecture and the normal Windows 10

[quote=424015:@Russ Lunn]This is going to force millions of companies to move to android handheld barcode scanning /camera devices and tablets in warehouses and delivery companies.

Let’s hope android support in Xojo is enterprise grade![/quote]

If it is anything like Xojo iOS, there simply will be NO support whatsoever for barcode scanning devices.