This application has encountered a problem

This application has encountered a problem is the title of a “dialog” I get yesterday.

The two buttons Caption are: Report Now and Ignore.

Report Now is useless because I was not on internet and Feedback was not installed.
Ignore is also of no use because it loops to itself !

My only solution was to shutdown that windows 8.1 machine and reboot.

I hope the next Xojo release will not display this behaviour.

TIA.

Not saying it may not be an XOJO issue… but remember there are 3 components at work here.

1. Windows 8.1
  2. Xojo
  3. your code

The problem could be caused by any one of them, or a combination of issues the intersected to create the issue.

Have you coded the UNHANDLED EXCEPTION event to see if it provides more information?

[quote=147563:@Emile Schwarz]This application has encountered a problem is the title of a “dialog” I get yesterday.

Report Now is useless because I was not on internet and Feedback was not installed.

[/quote]

Looks more like a Windows error message than a Xojo one.

[quote=147563:@Emile Schwarz]This application has encountered a problem is the title of a “dialog” I get yesterday.

I hope the next Xojo release will not display this behaviour.

TIA.[/quote]
This is not a Xojo dialog, it’s from Windows. The only time I’ve seen this happen recently is when I get the app into a tight loop that doesn’t yield time to the system (like a thread with no Sleep intervals) or when debugging, if I leave it paused on a breakpoint for too long. Even a really long For…Next or While Loop can cause this. In the case of the latter, it’s a good time to consider using a Thread.

Hi all,

Thank you for your answers.

it comes from Windows and runs Xojo’s Feedback ?

I can add that in that case, I probably run twice the same command (two returns on the project file).

But, I get the same dialog yesterday (and loose my unsaved changes * definitively) but I do not know what I was doing at the time.

• this does not happens on OS X; at relaunch time Xojo ask what to do: discard unsaved changes or keep it.

Are you writing messages to the system.debuglog? I’ve found that I can easily crash Xojo if I write too many messages too fast - like in a tight loop on Windows - don’t know if it’s a problem on other platforms.

Windows has it’s own report system. If you click Report, you will see it.

Wayne: no. It was at launch time, Xojo / project launch time.

Michel: it is Xojo own’s debug system. A click in the “Report Now” button try to launch Xojo’s own Feedback application.

Having an “Ignore” button that does not allows to get out of this bad mood is a bit “fort de caf”, isn’t it ?

At last, we do not care why whe fall into the trap, but I do care about how to get off of it !!!

[quote=147924:@Emile Schwarz]Wayne: no. It was at launch time, Xojo / project launch time.

Michel: it is Xojo own’s debug system. A click in the “Report Now” button try to launch Xojo’s own Feedback application.

Having an “Ignore” button that does not allows to get out of this bad mood is a bit “fort de café”, isn’t it ?

At last, we do not care why whe fall into the trap, but I do care about how to get off of it !!![/quote]

To exit any frozen app under Windows, equivalent to Mac Force-Quit :

• Press Ctrl-Alt-Del (Ctrl-Alt-Supprime), wait a second or two until a menu displays
  • Select Task Manager (usually the last item)
  • if needed, click “More details” in the lower left corner of the task manager window
  • Select the task you want to end, and click “End Task” on the lower right corner.

Alternatively, you may right click on the task bar icon for the app and select “close window”, but it has less priority, so I think it may not work with your stuck dialog. The Task Manager works on most everything right away.

I think that I never fall into that trap on OS X. I had crashes (some, less than 10 a year not to say less than 5 a year), but I do not recall any loop-in-the-crash.

Do not get me wrong: OS X version is better, not far better, nor Rock solid, just a bit better. And my feeling is that the IDE is developed on Windows and checked if it works on OS X. Just a feeling.

To get into my feeling, add a property, put a name, tab, put a type, tab and you get in the Default value field, anotehr tab gets you in the object below (forgot its name), another tab place the cursor in the Navigator Find and a last one put the cursor in the Code Editor. On Windows, you can see that, but not in OS X. above,

Note: why that order ? I do not know. And I do not care. When I press tab on the last object in the right list of objects, I want to get the Cursoer in the Code Editor to put comments, why on Earth I want to make a search while doing (ending process) the Add a property ???

Last: if in my text above, some words or part of a sentence appears inside another paragraph: sorry, not my fault, that f… Windows moves my cursor all the time, ad nauseam :frowning:

[quote=147928:@Emile Schwarz]add a property, put a name, tab, put a type, tab and you get in the Default value field, anotehr tab gets you in the object below (forgot its name), another tab place the cursor in the Navigator Find and a last one put the cursor in the Code Editor. On Windows, you can see that, but not in OS X. above,

Note: why that order ? I[/quote]

It’s a bug that will be fixed in the next version.