When you come to join the European Xojo Conference in Cologne in October, you may spend some time with sight seeing, so here a few ideas:
- Visit Cologne’s cathedral itself.
- Take the steps up to the towers for a great view inside the structure and over the city
- Visit the treasure chamber below the Cathedral
- Walk though the small streets of the older city center
- Enjoy a beer in one of the old tiny pubs or small breweries
- Rathaus, visit the city hall and it’s architecture
- Several older churches show architecture from various centuries: St. Gereon with a spectacular 10 sided dome.
- Hahnentor, one of the city gates from the city wall
- Visit the Chocolate Museum
- Museum Ludwig on the backside of the Cathedral shows modern art
- Römisch-Germanisches-Museum, shows Roman history
- Abenteuermuseum Odysseum, a museum for kids to learn about science
- Wallraf-Richartz-Museum, an art museum from mid ages to modern times
- Römisches Praetorium, see some Roman ruins in the city center
More in Cologne
- Go to platform on KölnTriangle to have a great view on the city
- Kölner Seilbahn, a cable car takes you over the Rhine to the other side. Connects Zoo with Rheinpark.
- Kölner Zoo. The Zoo is within the city and next to the Flora, you can go there via tram.
- Flora, the botanic garden
- Volksgarten, a public park in Cologne
- Rheinpark, a nice park on the other side of the Rhine
Visit Brühl, 20 km south of Cologne
- Schlösser Brühl, vist the palaces and parks from 18th century
- Phantasialand, a theme park with rollercoasters.
Visit Bonn, the former capital of Germany, 35km south of Cologne
- Haus der Geschichte, museum about German history
- Beethoven house, the birth place of the famous music composer
- Drachenburg, a castle south of Bonn
- Poppelsdorfer Schloss, the former palace which now hosts the botanic garden
Within the city, you can just get a day ticket for the subway & busses and get everywhere. From main station you can get local trains to Bonn and other places around. To go to Bonn, you may take one of the ships cruising the Rhine.