the Xojo Namespace And Autocomplete

In a desktop app in a method in a Window I typed:

X = Xojo.

then I hit Tab and got a long auto complete popupmenu that at least has all of Xojo.Core and other stuff in it… maybe all Xojo..

Is that a bug? What is supposed to autocomplete at that level?

Also , since we have two frameworks, would it make sense to be able to specify project wide using using clauses (maybe in the app class) ?

If some was working on a desktop )or web) projects primarily using the new framework they might want what to set it to “Using Xojo” (if showing everything i shot a big) or " Using Xojo.Core" and if they want to primarily use the classic framework that clause could default to “Using REALBasic” for desktop and Web?

Or would having project wide using causes result in more code portability confusion than keeping that at the module, class and source code level?

• Karen

[quote=174379:@Karen Atkocius]In a desktop app in a method in a Window I typed:

X = Xojo.

then I hit Tab and got a long auto complete popupmenu that at least has all of Xojo.Core and other stuff in it… maybe all Xojo..

[/quote]
No
Everything that starts with an X - which includes fully qualified names

The app class isn’t global scope though :stuck_out_tongue:
It it its own class with its own scope

Project wide might have uses (which is what the iOS “Use simple references” option in the Shared build settings does

The biggest issue with them is “where do you put these in the IDE ?”
They’re kind of like methods, constants, etc etc in that you add them to classes, modules, etc.
But then it’s plausible to add them as “project items” all on their own so they can be global.
I’m not sure that I’d want them buried in the build settings as they are kind of invisible that way (like VB’s old option base 0 / 1)
And for sharing code having them global can mean your code, when imported into another project, not compile or behave differently because those global statements are missing
So for the time being they are at the level of modules, classes, etc

[quote=174397:@Norman Palardy]X = Xojo.

No
Everything that starts with an X - which includes fully qualified names

[/quote]

I’m not sure you saw my point. (This is in a desktop project) What I mean is that if i typed for example:
Y = xojo.D
I could autocomplete to:
Y = xojo.Dictionary

But I though to get the new framework dictionary class I would need to do autocomplete on
Y = xojo.Core.D
To be able to pick
Y = xojo.Core.Dictionary

(Yes I know those would need the New operator… that is not the point here)

What I am asking is should:
Y = xojo.D
BE ABLE to autocomplete to
Y = xojo.Dictionary
??

Why is “Xojo.Core.” not needed?

I mean even if I was “Using Xojo”

I would have thought I would need to autocomplete
Y = Core.D
to get
Y = xojo.Core.Dictionary

Do you see what I don’t understand? How can “Core” not be needed?

BTW I know the App Class is a class … Maybe what Is need is an IDE Item called “Project” or “Project Settings” that can not be subclassed ( and is pinned at the top) that can have using clauses and a Build Steps as item and maybe some other things.

• Karen

[quote=174402:@Karen Atkocius]I’m not sure you saw my point. (This is in a desktop project) What I mean is that if i typed for example:
Y = xojo.D
I could autocomplete to:
Y = xojo.Dictionary

Why is “Xojo.Core.” not needed?
[/quote]
Autocomplete bugs - surprise ! :slight_smile:
It’s not handling all the new namespaced stuff very well
I’ve got several bug reports I need to go thorough & fix as they are all related its just actually going to be a big change to how it operates since it wasn’t written to deal with all the namespaces & such

Something that makes it obvious you have “global” using clauses
There just isn’t a decent spot right now