The Man Who Carried Computer Science on His Shoulders

This Article: The Man Who Carried Computer Science on His Shoulders appeared in my Facebook news feed as a post in the group Digital Planet Listeners. It is well worth taking the time to read.

2 Likes

Thank you Tom, but…

FaceBook ? No thank you !

1 Like

That is where the link to Inference Magazine popped up for me. The link is directly to the Inference magazine article and has nothing to do with Facebook. Don’t be so quick to judge Emile.

2 Likes

In 1975 I was employed at my university (where I was studying computer science and mathematics) to make an evaluation of Dijkstra’s structured programming techniques. It completely changed the way I programmed and in the ensuing 45+ years I have never used GOTO in any (high level) programming language code.

Modern languages are pretty much based in those principles, and if there is a GOTO statement, I often scratch my head as to why.

1 Like

Perhaps it is finally time for Xojo to remove the " included for historical reasons only" GOTO command from Xojo and the help file reference to it?

2 Likes

Amen to that. As an aside, I did the structured programming gig in Algol 60, also mentioned in the article, and which was available on the campus Burroughs B5700 mainframe. Ah, nostalgia.

2 Likes