The adventures of iOS developers and iOS8

Guess what ? Those lucky souls who thought their apps were happily rolling along in the iTunes Store are in for a rough ride, as it appears not only iOS 8 gobbles memory like Godzilla does cars for breakfast, but it also breaks the back of UIPickerView, and DatePickerView for Livecode apps. UIPickerView is the “one arm bandit” metaphor rolling wheels used among other things to select the time of appointments in Calendar.

In Livecode, it crashes outright, so in their forum, developers complain that the bug is not fixed fast enough, as customers flock to report their favorite apps no longer work. There is a third party control available but at $65 some are reluctant. Other custom controls exist but they are iOS7 style and there is much whining about that. A fix should come soon, but it will be ready when it’s ready. Does all that ring any bell ?

Why do I mention the misadventures of poor LC developers ? Because after much drama about the Xojo iOS ‘is it here yet’, song and dances about ‘it should be here’ and admonitions about ‘just hire a dozen engineers’, it appears things are not peace and tranquility in the wonderful world of iOS. Just like Yosemite promises it’s content of disquiet for Mac developers, the latest iOS had greek gifts too. Just imagine, precisely, if the iOS product had been here, what would happen if like the other guys, iPhone and iPad apps went south on customers ? I can just imagine the outcry …

Incidentally, LC is not alone in the merry boat from hell : Xamarin also has issues with iOS, among which it seems UIPickerView plays hookie when a blue tooth keyboard is connected.

All is not well in the small world of iDevices today :wink:

Livecode mostly does not use native controls. That is mean culprit I guess.

iOS for Xojo will use native controls so it should be iOS ‘future proof’.

I believe most of the iOS controls are native in LiveCode…

Thats been changed because the last time I checked it wasn’t (a long time ago).

As demonstrated with Yosemite and the recent NSSearchField issue for a while, even native can occasionally have glitches. My point was not so much to talk about Livecode or Xamarin per se, but to remark that iOS Xojo better be as polished as possible, since any new system can be full of surprises. If it had been issued last summer, who knows what could have broken with iOS8 ?

I am not trying to know if the alpha does, by the way. Just noting how others are experimenting issues.

Well, the good news on iOS for Xojo: You can use declares to access full iOS functionality.
The bad news: You have to do this by our own, 'cause not all frameworks and controls will be supported initially.

[quote=132236:@Tomas Jakobs]Well, the good news on iOS for Xojo: You can use declares to access full iOS functionality.
The bad news: You have to do this by our own, 'cause not all frameworks and controls will be supported initially.[/quote]

Sounds very much like Mac OS X, does it not ? MacOSLib is proof of it :wink:

thank you for sharing this Michel.

Its a good reminder that the mindset of “I want what I want when i want it” is not always a good one. Given that Xojo IOS development tools will be alternative to how to make IOS apps, I do not mind the waiting game if it means stability and doing things the right way.