The 80's called and they want linenumbering back

As mentioned by others here, line numbers are great when someone references a line to review, but also super important if the editor allows you to zip to a line number via a hot-key or command. It’s also very handy when the editor has commands for “copy next X lines” etc. Which brings me to …

What the Xojo code editor really needs is a Vim mode, that’s how my fingers are hard-wired and I so miss Vim commands when in Xojo.

and “everyone else does this” is not a persuasive reason for us to do something either

Personally I can do with or without line numbers. That said, I will throw out the benefit of line numbers as being another visual cue that can make it more obvious that a routine has gotten too large and maybe it would be a good idea to refactor that block of code.

I think that we are getting at a long-standing request <https://xojo.com/issue/7173>. Line numbering is a feature, you can turn of or on so calling it the 80’s is just a matter of taste. The bigger picture, I think is the 4-th ranking report in feedback, and if I am correct, I am really looking forward.

No we’re not

The “it’s always been that way” argument is just as worthless as “everyone else does this”
It’s been that way for 20 years, but that means it’s been hard to communicate small code changes for 20 years as well.

This feature can be enabled / disabled ?

If so, why are-we discussing about it ?

You love it ? Enable it !

You dislike it ? Disable it !

EOS !

Your grandpa shot horses underhanded? :frowning:

but the inverse… “Just because various Xojo engineers don’t like/use something, doesn’t mean that their customers also don’t or won’t”
The idea is to build a product that can appeal to the largest audience (and yes, stay within budget constraints)

I never said we didn’t like it
Or that it didn’t have some use
What I did say is that its never been present for the last 20 years yet there is lots of code that has been written, shared & debugged with out it
Its not “required” to use Xojo effectively - and never has been
And yet - there the feature is - implemented

Yer welcome

I’m going to file a FR to have it removed :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh wait I will just turn it on when needed and turn it off when not needed

Problem solved Emile S. :smiley:

I work alone so I’ll probably never use it but if I was doing a presentation or something, I can see how I might switch it on temporarily.

What’s the problem? I like the IDE becoming richer like this.

[quote=323770:@Norman Palardy]
What I did say is that its never been present for the last 20 years yet there is lots of code that has been written, shared & debugged with out it[/quote]

by the same logic… “Mr. Ford, we don’t need a Model-T, people have gotten from point A to point B for hundreds of years without it” :slight_smile:

Where’s that FR ?
You have no idea how fast it would be implemented
3 lines of code and its done

Instead of taking feedback personally, why not consider that we’re trying to collectively improve the IDE so it works better for everyone, and looks attractive and appealing?

Not only do the improvements help us as existing users, they could attract new users.

Not a good analogy

The line number HAS ALWAYS BEEN present in the status area
So you could always say “oh look at line 3” and you had to mouse over the line and watch the status area to know when you were on that line
The ONLY difference is WHERE it is - thats it
Not that its suddenly available where it NEVER was before - it just wasn’t conveniently located

So, to be clear, you’re going to pull a feature because we gave you feedback on it that you didn’t like?

It’s a feature we want. We just want it implemented completely.

Edit: Because the comment that this post references was edited out, here’s the feedback case that covers the same topic: <https://xojo.com/issue/47578>

It’s been 9 years: <https://xojo.com/issue/4716>
It comes up time and time again if you search Feedback for “line number”

It wasn’t announced loud enough in the beta to get the attention it deserved. It got into the release being buggy.
We have offered you feedback on how to improve it, both visually and functionally, and you’re going to pull it.

No actually
You submitted a feature request <https://xojo.com/issue/47532>
I closed it and posted a reason to you both privately and on the case (I deleted it and have restored my posting)
[i]
Putting the breakpoint / bookmark settings closer to the code means less mousing to set one if you use the mouse
And visually its more closely associated with the line of code
The line # is less relevant EXCEPT in the cases where you need it like a compilation error that quotes a line #
But even then you can just click the error in the list and your there - its one reason line #’s not being present in the IDE has never been a real impediment
They simply had very few required uses because of how the IDE worked

Hence why for 20 years line numbers have not been shown and it really hasn’t stopped anyone from writing code effectively
[/i]

Instead of accepting the reason you filed <https://xojo.com/issue/47537>

My participation ends with this post

Again, for clarity to all, I filed that case prior to any detailed reason being made available.

My frustration with the way staff members close Feedback cases they simply don’t like is what lead to that “feature request.” It is in no way directly aimed at Norman. I have witnessed other staff members respond in the same way.

I have joked about feature requests regarding behavior on Twitter in the past, but at this point I thought it would be the only way to make some noise. It is clear to me now with <https://xojo.com/issue/47578> that the Feedback system is essentially /dev/null

My hope was that case would work it’s way up, and might become a discussion topic at the next staff meeting. I understand that Xojo, Inc is quite particular about the information they share about future plans, but I feel that some cases aren’t being handled with respect toward customers.

We are a community, we are all people, but don’t forget that we pay to use this tool, and we’d like to see it improve.

Edit: spelling