Thanks for the last 11 years, Greg!

9 Likes

Thank you for all of the hard work you’ve done in the last 11 years @Greg_O_Lone . I’m sure you will be sadly missed. I hope you’re future endeavours go well.

Many thanks for your help over the years Greg. Best wishes for the future mate.

In my 20 years of consulting business we had 2 developers each stay 7 years before they went on to bigger and better things. Having a developer stay for 11 years seems almost like a unicorn. Easier to get pay raises and better benefits and opportunities by leaving for another job than to stick around these days.

Of course it stinks that Greg is leaving but that is a fact of life that every company faces at some point. Either you have to let a developer go for a myriad of reasons or an employee leaves for a myriad of reasons. Small development teams get hurt by this but it’s something they’ll have to deal with - as they have for 20+ years.

If we (and they) are lucky an existing Xojo user with the right experience is looking for a career opportunity and the experience gap will be a minimum.

I first met Greg at the ARBP conference in Atlanta 11 years ago (he was about to start working for Xojo). He’s been a great contributor to the product and helped a lot of us figure things out. He’ll be missed. Good luck to Greg in his new job and thanks for a fantastic 11 years!

12 Likes

A question is burning in my mind, I hesitate to write it but I do. How much does the complain of us (the Xojo developers) did influence his decision?
I ask the question to myself, not to Greg.

I would love if someone using web target for a few years would take the chance to switch sides and make it better from inside the company.

Since Xojo prefers work for home, this is the chance for someone to join, who loves Xojo and wants to do it as full time job. Could be someone from around the globe.

1 Like

Reminder:

1 Like

Thank you so much, @Greg_O_Lone !!!

1 Like

Todo el Éxito a @Greg_O_Lone siempre atento para ayudar en el foro de Xojo.

All the best Greg. You’ve been a huge help.

2 Likes

Greg buddy! You’ve always been helpful here. Hope the best for you!

1 Like

Hey Greg. I missed this thread concerning your departure. Mr. Greg O, the “master of Web 1.0” and so many other great things at RS/Xojo. If you do happen to see this post please stay in touch. And let me say this for myself and every other long-time Xojo user, you are and will be missed!

1 Like

Greg developed Web 2.0 not 1.0 I believe?

As I remember things Greg was working on “Web Edition” back when the product was still called Real Studio. It worked really well even then!

@Thom_McGrath developed Web 1.0. @Greg_O took over maintaining Web 1.0 and developed Web 2.0.

1 Like

Yes I agree, Tom developed the original Real Studio Web Edition but Greg took over and matured it into the solid easy to use product it is (was) today. Hats off to both Thom and Greg for their efforts on that product.

What is Greg doing now?

I’m working in a DevOps position in a company of 2000+ employees. It’s not often that someone that’s over 50 has an opportunity to change direction like this but after 20+ years of writing code, I was ready for something different. It’s new, challenging and I’m learning things every day that I would never have been exposed to while working at Xojo… oh so many new languages to learn.

To answer your next question, yes, I do still use Xojo from time to time, mostly on my own little projects. I have a few open-source Xojo projects in progress that are not ready for the light of day yet, but I hope to have some time to move them forward this fall.

For the time being, you’ll still see me around here answering questions and filing bug reports on Issues (though not as many as Norman apparently).

20 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Continued discussion of age of programmers