TextInputCanvas Plugin and FTC 64bit

I just bought a licence for the FTC from Bob.
Within days, we have a Xojo that can compile 64 bit apps, but the TextInputCanvas plugin that FTC relies upon doesnt support 64bit.
So at the moment, I have a licence for FTC that makes no sense to develop with :frowning:

Does anyone know if the TextInputCanvas plugin is going to support 64bit anytime soon?

[quote=224392:@Jeff Tullin]I just bought a licence for the FTC from Bob.
Within days, we have a Xojo that can compile 64 bit apps, but the TextInputCanvas plugin that FTC relies upon doesnt support 64bit.
So at the moment, I have a licence for FTC that makes no sense to develop with :frowning:

Does anyone know if the TextInputCanvas plugin is going to support 64bit anytime soon?[/quote]

TextInputCanvas is what powers the IDE code editor if I am not mistaken, and is a Xojo project. Bob Keeney is waiting for it to make a 64 bit FTC.

That was discussed in the beta channel. It is planned, but as usual, no release date has been said. Since Xojo will need the 64 TIC for the IDE anyway, I have reasons to believe they are already working on it.

In the interim, I am using a 32 bit helper to show the window where I need FTC, and the rest of my app can be 64 bit. A bit more overhead, but transparent to the user.

Thats an idea.
I’ll see if I can get something working along those lines.

I believe the plugin will get some love in the next week or two. Be patient. With the exception of some declares I don’t think there will be many issues with FTC 64 bit.

[quote=224392:@Jeff Tullin]I just bought a licence for the FTC from Bob.
So at the moment, I have a licence for FTC that makes no sense to develop with :([/quote]
I wouldn’t worry so much about 64-Bit right at this moment, you can continue to develop your app in 32-Bit and hopefully by the time you’re ready, the plugin and all the third party code that you may need have been updated and debugged on 64-Bit.

One of the biggest hurdles that we’ve faced is debugging 64-Bit specific issues, which will be a lot easier once we can ‘debug’ 64-Bit apps.

As I am working now on a project that uses FTC, and following remarks from Joe about "32-bit itself is a legacy thing at this point", I wondered if you had tried the 64 bit plugin already ?

I fear the time when Apple will mandate 64 bit, and start preparing for it.

Send me an email at support@bkeeney.com and I’ll send you the updated plugin. Keep in mind that FTC has some XojoScript in it so you’ll have to strip all that out for it to work in 64 bit.

Done. Thank you Bob :slight_smile:

The copy I compiled is still here:
http://www.macsw.de/plugin/MBS%20Xojo%20_TextInputCanvas%20Plugin.xojo_plugin.zip

I will complete my current project, and when I get to the 64 bit part, will report.

I have not looked into the XojoScript thing Bob mentions yet, though. Could be a show stopper. And we have no idea if and when XojoScript will be supported in 64 bit.

It’s purely a when, not an if.

Super. Thanks :slight_smile: