Text blurred on Retina Displays

Is it just me? Text in the code editor, inpector panels and so on is blurred on my Mac Book Pro with Retina display. Interestingly text in menus look ok. Do I have to change a setting? Couldn’t find information on this in the docs.

You can use the free program Retinizer that applies some tweaks to non-retinized programs so they look fine on retina displays. I’ve used it myself on Xojo and am very pleased with the result.

Or I think you can simply add this snippet at the end of Xojo’s info.plit before the ending tag:

NSHighResolutionCapable
true

This works for many non-retinized programs.

The IDE is not yet Retina ready, as Alexie mentions it’s not too difficult to start the process of making your own application Retina ready. Although some things are a bit more work in Xojo.

Thank you for the tip ! Xojo looks much better on Retina when using this little app.

Strange Xojo isn’t by default Retina compatible. :confused:

We decided not to turn on retina support until we had an official way to do that in the framework. It’ll be an incentive to get the API right and not forget anything when making it available to our users. We’re not quite ready for that yet…

I understand. All graphics used in Xojo aren’t looking very sharp. But everything else (for example the code editor) is much sharper.

BTW hint for using graphics in Retina without the need for two images (one normal and one x2) is to rescale them.

For example:
If you need to display a 64x64 image, always use a 128x128 version.
Now draw it with:
g.drawpicture 0,0,64,64,0,0,128,128

This way it will look good on both non-Retina and Retina.

So you do not have to check if the Mac has Retina support or not.

[quote=14251:@Christophe De Vocht]This way it will look good on both non-Retina and Retina.
So you do not have to check if the Mac has Retina support or not.[/quote]

That doesn’t work in all cases. For instance, if the icon is 16x16, you really should be creating specific versions for both resolutions. The normal version may require more sharpening or more detail work to make it legible for non-retina users. Heck, the icon itself may be completely different because the 32x32 version looks like a gray blob when you scale it down.

We also need to take into consideration that most of these graphics are used on the Windows and Linux IDE as well.

Any progress on Retina support?

Nothing we can report

I’ve just started experimenting with using vector PDF images (via my Retina Kit) and it’s pretty neat IMHO, it certainly helps to keep the file size down and the OS renders it at the correct resolution, I’m still experimenting with it at the moment.

+1 for Retinizer . The Xojo IDE looks great.

[quote=14048:@Alexei Vinidiktov]You can use the free program Retinizer that applies some tweaks to non-retinized programs so they look fine on retina displays. I’ve used it myself on Xojo and am very pleased with the result.

Or I think you can simply add this snippet at the end of Xojo’s info.plit before the ending tag:

NSHighResolutionCapable
true

This works for many non-retinized programs.[/quote]
I want to do this, but …
where do I find info.plist?
thanks

Right click in the finder onto your app and choose “show content”. Change into the “Contents” folder and you see the info.plist file.

Be aware that doing this will cause some visual issues in the IDE - check out the window editor :stuck_out_tongue:
And “NOT A BUG” will be the reply

good man

hmm
looks like my info.plist is encrypted?!
is there a plan B?
(OSX version 10.8.3)

I also tried manually editing plist.info for my app
didn’t make any difference
am I missing something here?
cheers

bizarre
tried it again - and now it works (for my app at least)
so karma++ to Torsten and Alexei!

I work much more on Windows than on the Mac, but don’t most Mac users just put the little script in the Build steps so that it does this automatically?

I tried that
seems to ignore me!

It should work, I see it plastered all over the forum and even I can get it to work (and I am certainly no Mac guru). Maybe some of the Mac folks can help. Anyhow, it was a heck of a lot better than editing the plist.info file each time.