Teensy and raw HID

Anyone with experience using a Teensy (3.1) and raw HID ? (on Windows)

I’m looking for a good way to have a driverless interface between xojo and teensy 3.1
If anyone knows what the best setup is … maybe WinHIDMBS ?
And how would one use that?

Hi,

If Teensy 3.1 isn’t different than the previous versions concerning the communications, you can check these:
http://forums.realsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36962
http://forums.realsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35269
http://forums.realsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38889&start=15

Julen

Normally, yo would use a COM port for communications like that, You would only use HID if you are trying to emulate something like a mouse or keypad.

Jim Wagner
Oregon Research Electronics

Using a COM port is easier (and that’s what I do with my Teensy), but using the HID mode has the advantage of not requiring a driver (which is required for the serial communication with this device, at least for the version I have).

For in house use I would suggest the COM port. If the device will be used in several computers the HID may be more adequate. Plus, if you use a cross platform HID solution (the MBS plugin, for example) you can use the device on any platform. I don’t know of any driver for the Teensy for Linux or MacOS (but I have never looked into this so they might exist).

Julen

Those threads are not that interesting.
MBS won’t help eighter, it’s just not working. How ever you try to send and/or read data it doesn’t work.
It connects, but nothing more. I think this has to do with the USER_PAGE and USER codes for HID raw.

I’m asking for HID raw. And still people give me suggestions to go to serial ?
Almost everyday do some serial port programming. It’s low speed, it has a driver requirement and it’s all in ASCII wich makes it readable.
I don’t need all this, that’s why i need HID. Just Plug And Play.

[quote=55323:@Derk Jochems]MBS won’t help eighter, it’s just not working. How ever you try to send and/or read data it doesn’t work. [/quote] It did work for me.

Probably people are trying to help the best way the know and they don’t know whether you do serial port programming or not. But hey, no problem, I will keep it shut from now on.

Julen

[quote=55324:@Julen Ibarretxe Uriguen]It did work for me.

Probably people are trying to help the best way the know and they don’t know whether you do serial port programming or not. But hey, no problem, I will keep it shut from now on.

Julen[/quote]
Never mind it, it was just a question. I’m not from the USA so we might conflict too much in language. This is getting too much off topic like every post on this forum already.

Anyway thanks for the info.

Async serial is NOT limited to ASCII. It cares nothing about encoding; it just transports bytes. It is up to your code to assign a coding, or none at all.

Jim Wagner

[quote=55587:@James Wagner]Async serial is NOT limited to ASCII. It cares nothing about encoding; it just transports bytes. It is up to your code to assign a coding, or none at all.

Jim Wagner[/quote]
That’s true, but it’s accessible by any software to be read. And i don’t want that. I need plug and play instant working.
No drivers to install.

It is also my understanding that HID has lower latency but at the cost of much smaller message size compared to COM. So, you may get your driverless security, but at a price.

Jim

I know how HID works, i just don’t get it to work with MBS plugins for some reason. And there is no actual Raw HID helping library where i know of.