System.Debuglog output

I use System.Debuglog (a lot).
Since 2015R3 (or so) the behavior of the messages pane at the bottom of the IDE has changed. Now, after I hit Command-R, the messages pane disappears (although I clicked the toggle button at the bottom).

I really hate this behavior because every time I test-run an App, I need to click the button again and then find my App to bring it back to the front.

Anyways (not a word), is there a way to see the output from System.Debuglog somewhere else?

The documentation says: “You can also view the message in OS-specific output areas.” and “On OS X, it logs to the Console.”

Where can I find these OS-specific output areas? And “the Console”, I assume this is the terminal?
How can I open something on the side so I can see my System.Debuglog messages?

[quote=236722:@Marco Hof]Where can I find these OS-specific output areas? And “the Console”, I assume this is the terminal?
How can I open something on the side so I can see my System.Debuglog messages?[/quote]

Console.app is in Applications/Utilities

You will see there all system events and the debuglog messages, including for built apps (useful for 64 bit).

[quote=236722:@Marco Hof]I use System.Debuglog (a lot).
Since 2015R3 (or so) the behavior of the messages pane at the bottom of the IDE has changed. Now, after I hit Command-R, the messages pane disappears (although I clicked the toggle button at the bottom).[/quote]
Confirmed. <https://xojo.com/issue/41918>
Anyone notice that the tab order is wrong for creating reports?

Thanks Michel!

Thanks Tim but I’m afraid mine was already shot down.
<https://xojo.com/issue/41490>
Bad fix IMHO. I mean, it’s a toggle button. If it’s in your way, just toggle it off. :confused:

Hm, yours didn’t come up when I searched.
Oh well. It’s a problem, and it needs to be fixed.

I agree with you, it’s a terrible way to fix the other issue. The proper fix would be to stop using Windows.

This works for me with 2015R4:

Create IDE Script RunWithLogView.xojo_script containing

DoCommand "ToggleMessages"
  DoCommand "RunApp"

The double “toggle” is intentional.

Create OSX keyboard shortcut for Xojo labelled File->IDE Scripts->RunWithLogView.xojo_script. Assign whatever shortcut you want. I use SHFT-CMD-R.

I love the new behavior. The old behavior was a major annoyance. With search page and debugger visible the useful area for code was minimal and then I had to click the search pane away almost always.

@Tanner: Thanks. That works great!

@Beatrix: But wouldn’t it be easier if the toggle buttons just do what they should. As in; if they’re not clicked, don’t show them. And if toggled on, show it. Now the IDE decides for me what’s best.

I added a build script placed after the gear with simply

And now, again, I have the messages when I run the project. Thank you Tanner Lee :slight_smile:

Hmm… that sounds even better but doesn’t seem to work for me.
If I put it before the gear, I see the message pane flashing real quick. If I place it after the gear, nothing happens. :confused:

[quote=236780:@Marco Hof]Hmm… that sounds even better but doesn’t seem to work for me.
If I put it before the gear, I see the message pane flashing real quick. If I place it after the gear, nothing happens. :/[/quote]

It is a toggle, so if the message pane was displayed before the run, it hides it.

If you run with the pane already displayed and want it to stay, then use

DoCommand "ToggleMessages" DoCommand "ToggleMessages"

The pane should just stay how it was. If it was open, it should remain open; if it was closed, closed.
Then, any lack of view is your own fault :stuck_out_tongue:

Will try that run script later today, thank you Tanner.

Ehh - we have now 2018r1 and this is still not fixed. :frowning: Sometimes I have doubts - have you Xojo guys even use your baby? :smiley: Yeah - I know that you do, but it’s hard to believe, as I suggested here year or more ago some easy improvements that would make programmers life easier, but I was derided…

P.S. And I still want to see and to know who was that guy or girl from Microsoft, who decided that there is no need for Windows Start button. Just for curiosity. :smiley:

What is not fixed ?

For what system ?

Debuglog output message toggle button did not still stays in desired state in 2018r1 nor 2017r3 Windows version. Maybe it is not fault, but feature instead, but then it is one of lots features that appearance or miss I don’t understand in Xojo politics.

Go into Preferences, and in “Debugging”, uncheck “Hide Bottom Pane On Run” at the bottom of the dialog.

Thanks @Michel Bujardet, you are lifesaver as always. I can’t thank you enough for your help in this community. But anyway I wonder - why people make life more difficult? What was wrong just with those toggle buttons and programmers will about switching them? But okay - why I complain? I don’t understand a lot in our harder to lived world. :slight_smile:

I used 2014 year Xojo and will use it anyway with my older projects, but I thought that maybe is good idea start new projects with newer Xojo releases, but now I must think twice as I don’t need 64 bits builds and I can’t ever build them because even just compiling one plain window to 64bit executable ends with Xojo crash after linking message. And anyway - the newer version(s) really opens and compiles projects much slower than 2014r3 version.