system.debuglog on windows?

When I run my standalone web application on my windows system a dos box opens, but I thought that the log would show in this window, but its just a blank black window. Where is my log?

debugview?

Yes

I’m developing on a mac and deploying on windows… Is debugview part of a visual studio package or something that xojo distributes?

Neither, but it is from Microsoft:

DebugView: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896647.aspx

Use stdout.writeline to get the messages in the console window. Prior to 2013R3 you could see these in the messages pane at the bottom of the IDE. That’s where these messages appear with Windows apps.

What do you mean prior to? It still should…

Actually that statement was incorrect. debuglog messages don’t show for web apps in R2 either.

If you create a new web app, add an open event to the app and place the line system.debuglog currentmethodname in that event you’ll see nothing in the messages pane.

[quote=41300:@Wayne Golding]Actually that statement was incorrect. debuglog messages don’t show for web apps in R2 either.

If you create a new web app, add an open event to the app and place the line system.debuglog currentmethodname in that event you’ll see nothing in the messages pane.[/quote]

That’s odd. Do you get anything for desktop apps?

Yes. App.Open.

Using the empty service template I get App.Run

This is on Windows 7 in case that makes a difference.

[quote=41309:@Wayne Golding]Yes. App.Open.

Using the empty service template I get App.Run

This is on Windows 7 in case that makes a difference.[/quote]

It’d be great if you could file a bug report about System.DebugLog not showing up in the messages pane for web apps. This is the first I’ve heard of it.

Done <https://xojo.com/issue/30273>

Have seen the same. Microsoft Debugview is acceptable workaround.
I see case #29596 rather than #30273.
B.t.w. I am thinking about writing my own Debuglog-class / error reporter.

Highly suggest you all take a look at WebStarter by MBS, I have hacked it around a bit to do what I need but it is brilliant for web apps and logs and tracks all different types of errors etc, javascript, exceptions, c runtimes etc. You get the source and can do what you want with it. Web Starter Kit