Survey: Mouse wheel scrolling in the IDE on Windows

If you use the Xojo IDE on Windows, I would like your feedback on how scrolling with the mouse wheel works. The mouse wheel can be used to scroll various areas of the IDE such as the navigator, layout editor, code editor and inspector. There are two options in terms of its behavior:

1. Regardless of the position of the mouse cursor, scroll the area that has the focus. This is how it works today. For example, if you want to scroll the Inspector, you must first click on a control in the Inspector to give it the focus. Otherwise, the layout editor (for example) might have the focus and despite the fact that the cursor is over the Inspector, the layout editor would instead scroll.

2. Only scroll the area under which the mouse cursor is positioned. I believe the old IDE worked this way but we changed it in Xojo because option 1 above is the native behavior.

If you use the Xojo IDE on Windows, which of these two behaviors do you prefer?

On Windows, option 2 is actually the expected behavior. At least if you have multiple windows open, the mousewheel scrolls the one under the cursor, not the one that has focus.

I vote for option 2.

1. option is by far the best and 1 isn’t as native as you think on Windows. Many programs like eg. email clients which have to manage more than one list next to each other all (as far as i know) support mousewheel scroll of the list where the mousepointer hovers above.
    Especially large lists of the navigator, the library, the inspector and the code editor need this option because most of the times you don’t want to change the selection in one of those lists and not change the insertion point.

Also the fact that the navigator ‘demands’ 2 mouseclicks for a selection and most of the time also changes the view in the central code and layout view it’s realy horrible to set option 1 and not having a possibility to change that setting.

option 2

Even products from MS give mixed results in this area with some the control under the cursor scrolls, but not others unless they have focus. I’d prefer option 2.

I only occasionally use the IDE on Windows, but I do prefer option 2

IMO, it would also be nice if our built Windows applications would, by default, call the scrollWheel event of the control under the mouse la option 2, rather than the focused control.

I vote for option 2. Much more natural and convenient.

I vote for option 2 as this is the default behavior on windows family

I vote for option 2. Windows 8 certainly works this way and it feels much more natural.

I vote for option 2.

Option 2 please.

Option 2 here.

I like all who vote for option 2 :wink: .

I’m going almost mad every day due to behaviour 1. Feedback #30555
Please, reinstall behaviour 2.

2 definitely.

Option 2 for sure.
I really like it when I can scroll the area where my pointer is, although the focus is on another part of the screen.
e.g. I can type in my source screen and without losing the focus scroll through the Documentation so I can on typing in my source.

2 is my preference.

I liked what Tim Hare wrote, so here you can read it a second time:

On Windows, option 2 is actually the expected behavior. At least if you have multiple windows open, the mousewheel scrolls the one under the cursor, not the one that has focus.

I vote for option 2.

And I too vote for the natural mode: option2.

I vote for option 2.