Surface Pro Touch Questions

Hey all,

I just received a report from a user who is telling me that on his Windows Surface Pro 2 he is having problems using the touch screen interface with my software. He says the click zones are not consistent and sometimes they work and sometimes they don’t. He says connecting a wireless mouse doesn’t solve the problem either. Has the same issue. And he says all other programs work fine.

I have an HP “Split” laptop that I use for Windows 8.1 and touch screen testing. Its touchscreen works fine - in fact better than the laptop’s trackpad sometimes. I’ve not seen this. So I’m at a loss to know what might be different about the Surface Pro 2 than any other touch screen Windows 8/8.1 device.

Anyone seen anything like this or know how to work around this issue? It really seems more like an OS based thing to me as we don’t set click zones and so forth on controls. I’m stumped as to how to help him.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jon

HP “Split” laptop
A two in one laptop (a tablet and a laptop all in one) ?

Maybe the screen size / resolution is too small / large. Screen size too small (say 11" or 12") and the resolution too large (say full HD 1920 / 1080) ?

If so, tell him to change the screen resolution to lower numbers: 1440 x 900 for example.

[quote=130392:@Emile Schwarz]>HP “Split” laptop
A two in one laptop (a tablet and a laptop all in one) ?
[/quote]

See: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/detachables/products.html

[quote]
Maybe the screen size / resolution is too small / large. Screen size too small (say 11" or 12") and the resolution too large (say full HD 1920 / 1080) ?

If so, tell him to change the screen resolution to lower numbers: 1440 x 900 for example.[/quote]

No offense but this seems a little dubious. Still maybe it’s the case. I’m thinking his screen needs to be calibrated. But then you wouldn’t think any of the other apps would work either…

[quote=130370:@Jon Ogden]Anyone seen anything like this or know how to work around this issue? It really seems more like an OS based thing to me as we don’t set click zones and so forth on controls. I’m stumped as to how to help him.
[/quote]

Since you have to rely on your customer report, and on top of it the issues seem random, I do not see how anyone could assist. The only way to make sure is to try on a Surface Pro, and buying one for that seems a bot like overkill. Especially if after going all that extra mile, you find out the bug was in the user (been known to happen).

You might try to determine if he has some screen scaling set. Go to Control Panel > Display then look to see if he has screen scaling other than 100%. Technically this shouldn’t be a problem however many programs, including Xojo look a bit mangled when that is scaled above 100% I wonder if this could be an issue?

When you say “click zones” are these canvas’ or simple native buttons?

Hi Jon,

Is it possible that there is a listbox on the program?

My Surface Pro does not recognize the list in a Xojo listbox. There was a discussion about this at Swipe Events Not Working

[quote=130562:@Joseph Evert]You might try to determine if he has some screen scaling set. Go to Control Panel > Display then look to see if he has screen scaling other than 100%. Technically this shouldn’t be a problem however many programs, including Xojo look a bit mangled when that is scaled above 100% I wonder if this could be an issue?

When you say “click zones” are these canvas’ or simple native buttons?[/quote]

Things like dynamic menus items probably. My app uses a bunch of those when clicking on various objects.

[quote=130575:@Eugene Dakin]Hi Jon,

Is it possible that there is a listbox on the program?

My Surface Pro does not recognize the list in a Xojo listbox. There was a discussion about this at Swipe Events Not Working [/quote]

There is a listbox, but I’m not sure if that is where he’s having the problem or not.

[quote=130562:@Joseph Evert]You might try to determine if he has some screen scaling set. Go to Control Panel > Display then look to see if he has screen scaling other than 100%. Technically this shouldn’t be a problem however many programs, including Xojo look a bit mangled when that is scaled above 100% I wonder if this could be an issue?
[/quote]

The scaling is a good question. I’ll check. Thanks.

There was a thread a while ago about long tap used as right click not working on Windows touch devices. Since you mention menus, are you displaying them as contextual menus ?