Surface Book

I am seldomly impressed by MS stuff, but this is rather awesome.

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/devices/surface-book

http://www.macworld.com/video/58643/surface-book-hands-on-microsofts-first-laptop-is-simply-amazing

I look the way it looks but the detaching/attaching the display is very cool. Something I would expect from Apple. :slight_smile:

I even might order this. Ouch … :slight_smile:

This looks to be a pretty nice Apple product. ;-:slight_smile:

I notably like:
• two in one
• 360° “display”

I think I already have everything else on my Book.

I see two big advantages compared to a Macbook.

• Detachable display
  • Touchscreen

imo this how the latest Macbook should be (damn, never thought I would say something like this about MS).

Yes, heard of it also last night and was thinking of ordering one myself as my previous choice the Dell XPS 15 is currently not available any more. Pricetag for the one ‘512GB / Core Intel i7 - 16GB / dGPU’ is $2699 so may be somewhat to steep for my budget right now.

I would wait to see how it really shakes out. There were a LOT of things deliberately NOT said, so I’d wait for a thorough review.

Here are the best fact sheet so far :
http://news.softpedia.com/news/microsoft-surface-book-full-specifications-and-pricing-493861.shtml

From the first news bites, it appears the price will be higher in euros than in dollars. One can wonder why.

All that looks real cool, but only hands on will tell the whole story.

I forgot that one ! (or I do not saw it)

VAT: 20% ?

I’m also eager to read some actual reviews when it is available, but I am impressed with the design.

I use Xojo on the Surface Pro 3, i7, 512SSD, 128GB micro Sd card and 8GB RAM, it’s great for those commutes on the train, and lasts most of the day on a single charge. Havn’t carried my laptop around since I got it.

I’m probably going to order the Surface Pro 4, been waiting a long time for it to debut. But with no 4G LTE support still, I don’t understand how MS is positioning the Surface: “We want to replace your Desktop or Laptop with a top-quality, enterprise-level very expensive, 2-in-1, but if you want to connect back to the Corporate office you will still need to go to Starbucks to get on their Wi-Fi or carry around a mobile hotspot.”

Glaring omission, considering the audience they are targeting, IMO.

I just turn on internet sharing on my phone and connect to the internet through it with my laptop. Works great and no need for another monthly plan

Uggh, just give me the antenna. A LOT of reviewers of the Surface Pro 3 have an issue with it too.

Operators want the cake and eat it too. For the moment, they do not accept the fact that we may need several lines to communicate, and have no plans with several chips.

In France, one operator has started providing a plan for two chips. Then it makes sense to have a chip in the phone, and the other in the tablet. Hopefully that will becomes common in the future. Makes no sense to have to go through a personal hotspot that eats the phone battery when each device can have its own connectivity.

The WiFi solution is just a temporary situation, just as was DSL for a while. The future is in generalized cell access.

I do not have a smartphone (I jope a smartphone battery last more than 24 hours !), so this may be wrong.

Isn’t it better to split the battery usage between two batteries (phone / laptop) instead of taking all the energy from a dingle device ?

and back to Desktop / Home, place both devices on charge.

[quote=218972:@Emile Schwarz]I do not have a smartphone (I jope a smartphone battery last more than 24 hours !), so this may be wrong.

Isn’t it better to split the battery usage between two batteries (phone / laptop) instead of taking all the energy from a dingle device ?

and back to Desktop / Home, place both devices on charge.[/quote]

1 - iPhone and Galaxy S6 hardly last much more than an average day. They are still far from 24 hours. And if one is extremely talkative, it is even less. Large color screen and powerful processor come at a price…

2 - That is exactly my point : why be forced to drain the smartphone battery to connect, when the tablet could access the network directly ? The logical future is that anything that needs the Internet will be connected with its own chip.

In the US, though, the price revolution we got when Free came to the market did not happen. They still have pitifully expensive plans that include less data. But I just checked T-Mobile, who offers a plan with two lines and 10 GB data for $100 a month.

We lucky French can have two lines from Free.fr for €19.95 a month each (roughly $50 total), and 50 GB on each. When I was visiting in New York, I did not get any local line, since I had unlimited calls for 35 days a year while abroad, and 3 GB Internet.

Back on the Microsoft Surface Book, I do regret (like I do for the Mac Book) that they cannot be fitted with a phone chip. Such ultra compact laptops would make a great lot of sense with direct access to mobile networks.

Still on the same subject, I found out from Tech News Today that the screen part of the Surface Book has a detached autonomy of 3 hours only ! No very much…

https://twit.tv/shows/tech-news-today/episodes/1361?autostart=false

And what about the “screen” SSD size ?

From the link I posted above, it would seem the SSD is hosted in the keyboard, so the tablet would only have the RAM to go on I guess. No mention anywhere of a Micro SD.

The more it goes, the less Surface Book appears like a big tablet with a good keyboard. The more it looks as a powerful and cute notebook with a detachable/reversible screen. Maybe that is the trade off for the Intel i5/i7.

I guess they try more to go after the MacBook Pro, which they say their machine outperforms.

I own a two in one laptop and:

The “Screen” have one Battery and one SSD
The “Keyboard” have 1 Hard Disk (500GB) and one Battery.

And of course, a set of ports (USB, HDMI, etc.).

All of this for €399.

Thus my question about a SSD in the “Screen”.