Suggestion for IDE improvement: "Quick add" dialog like Spotlight

Since the first release of Xojo, navigating in the IDE has been subject to controversial discussions. I don’t want to kick-off another of those threads now but offer a new idea instead.

I mostly work on my 27" Thunderbolt Display and the navigation with the mouse can become tiring very quickly. To navigate through the system in general, I heavily rely on keyboard shortcuts and I often use Spotlight to do various things (e.g. open applications etc) – that’s way faster than navigating through menus and folders.

Xojo does provide keyboard shortcuts for a small set of operations. However, particularly the insert menu lacks many keyboard shortcuts or comfortable keyboard navigation. Adding controls, events, properties and project items in a new project is quite cumbersome. Hence, I hope at least some Xojo developers would welcome a feature similar to spotlight: a “quick add” dialog that is context sensitive and can be called with a keyboard shortcut. Something like that:

What do you think? Is it worth creating a feature request – or would it most likely not get implemented anyway?

I would support such a feature request – I would be very happy if I could do everything by keyboard shortcuts.

In addition to your suggestion a lot of commands do not exist in the menu (an example: “Show/Hide bottom panel”) which makes it impossible to link a keyboard shortcut and one is forced to use the mouse/trackpad.

If you think you would find it useful then submit the feature request
If you want others to also vote for it then post it here as well
Broad support for a feature is one way to get it implemented

Side note:
You should be able to get from one side of your screen to the other with the flick of your wrist.
The setting is adjustable in System Preferences.

Here we go: <https://xojo.com/issue/41024>

Feel free to throw some points at it or leave a comment.

[quote=218002:@Tim Parnell]Side note:
You should be able to get from one side of your screen to the other with the flick of your wrist.
The setting is adjustable in System Preferences.[/quote]

Thanks for the hint, didn’t know that!
However, it’s not only about the distance. I often find myself searching the menu for the option I’m looking for, altough I exactly know how it is called.