Success stories/salary

Oh no doubt
I did a lot of Y2K work and there was a real panic about getting that done on time.
It was for a business area that not a lot of people knew, know the tool set, etc.
So it was a premium rate to start with.
At the same time I replaced 9 people so they could work on new projects
You can guess at what kind of hoary rate that secured.

BUT - don’t ask salaries
Its private between me & my employer
Folks will tell you “Its none of your business”
Don’t ask co-workers either
All you get is “OMG you make what?” if they make lots more or lots less.
Then you’re pissed off because they make a lot more - or they’re pissed as you make more yet “we’re about the same skill level”
It just makes people upset, angered etc.
In some places they’ll fire you for even asking someone.
Its none of your business what someone else makes

Let me be the first to be brave enough to mention salary…

I started in 1969 on £573 per year (!)

Bad news: They forgot to claim intellectual property rights on the design and manufacture of their “!” key. Good news: If you decide to make one of your own, they will politely ask you to turn over all profits to them. Their “negotiator” is one of Michael’s M-Bot™ killer robots. Better news: Negotiations typically take only seconds.

[quote=52524:@Chris Carter]Let me be the first to be brave enough to mention salary…

I started in 1969 on £573 per year (!)[/quote]

Wow, I started in 1967 at $0. Clearly my parents were doing it wrong.

[quote=52524:@Chris Carter]Let me be the first to be brave enough to mention salary…

I started in 1969 on £573 per year (!)[/quote]

That was about 6,600 dutch florins, i started in 1969 for 4,800 dutch florins a year. You get i am now very jealous! Therefor i now will steal some '!!!" from Michael. ;D

You mean you guys get paid? I was in it for the tips :slight_smile:

I allways hoped to get away with collecting tips, i had to work for a few bucks. :wink:

Oliver, it is a question of ethics. It is bad form to ask, it is bad form to discuss salaries. Just accept that old farts like us (me, at least) know something, and learn the lesson. Drop it.

Besides, we,re in it just for the fun of it. Getting paid is a bonus. Or is it is vice versa?

Oliver (OP) it is all good fun and I think most don’t know you are only 15 or 16 years old. Like Louis said it is very bad form to ask that type of a question. :slight_smile: I can say however many of us working in IT do make a nice living to support ourselves/families.

Ah, but the exchange rate was better for the £ back then ! ( Is it OK to use ! or does it have to be licenced ? )

Thankyou all. My employability is better now and you have helped me gain knowledge on working for money. I was just thinking about those who work for themselves rather than people who work for someone else and may get fired because of sharing there salary.

Using it is fine. It’s when you try to manufacture that the friendly tin cans from M-Bot show up. (Btw, don’t call them “tin cans”. They don’t appreciate that in the least.)

As the copyright holder, I must insist that you cease and desist all usage of the term 'Hello World®".

It’s this type of flagrant infringement which is keeping me from collecting the ludicrous salary that I would like to post here.

I guess that’s why Dale called his app “Greetings Globe” and cornered the market. Which is tough to do with a globe.

Meanwhile Mark, on the outside looking in, went on to strike it rich with his line of Flammable Underpants, a big hit in the revenge industry.

As Kem says, you can use it freely, but if you make changes to it, you have to sent those to the original inventor (GPL-license). :smiley:

Oliver your employability is based on your skills, your desire and capacity to learn, your desire and capacity to communicate and work with others, and your ability to sell your self.

ok - you want some constructive feedback…

1. Don’t ask about people’s wages/income - it is UNBELIEVABLY rude and I think the feedback you’ve had has actually been very tame!!!

2. If you want to know how much an employee earns as a developer. Use a salary checker tool, there are plenty out there Link to one . But your skills as a negotiator, your experience/Location/knowledge all play a factor.

3. If your self-employed as a contractor/consultant then your income is based on variables such as experience, qualifications, demonstrable knowledge and so forth. Plus your rate will vary depending on market conditions and what the client is prepared to pay - it’s a negotiation - it’ll differ between contracts.

4. If you have a product to sell then you’ll have to do your own research as to what the product is worth before you develop it. Anyone who gives you a figure on here, not that they would, is meaningless as their product/marketing and everything else is different.

Don’t forget that with a full-time role you take no risk. If you run a business you take all the risk but the rewards may be higher.

Only my 2 pennyworth!!!

Yes, but if I know not it is stupid to share salary, under certain circumstances, then I am more employable. I would make a crap but better employee.

Trust me when you work at any sufficiently large company they will be more than happy to share all the RULES of being a good employee with you.

[quote=52555:@Patrick Delaney]ok - you want some constructive feedback…

1. Don’t ask about people’s wages/income - it is UNBELIEVABLY rude and I think the feedback you’ve had has actually been very tame!!!

2. If you want to know how much an employee earns as a developer. Use a salary checker tool, there are plenty out there Link to one . But your skills as a negotiator, your experience/Location/knowledge all play a factor.

3. If your self-employed as a contractor/consultant then your income is based on variables such as experience, qualifications, demonstrable knowledge and so forth. Plus your rate will vary depending on market conditions and what the client is prepared to pay - it’s a negotiation - it’ll differ between contracts.

4. If you have a product to sell then you’ll have to do your own research as to what the product is worth before you develop it. Anyone who gives you a figure on here, not that they would, is meaningless as their product/marketing and everything else is different.

Don’t forget that with a full-time role you take no risk. If you run a business you take all the risk but the rewards may be higher.

Only my 2 pennyworth!!![/quote]
Thanks. I did not mean to be rude. I didn’t think it would be a rude question because I am directly asking individuals for information. People can just ignore the question if they want to. I am not offended by anything anybody has said so for, all I care, the feedback could not be any more tame.