Studio Stable Database - Dead Product?

Studio Stable Database, is this a dead product? I am new to Xojo, very, very new. I have been playing around with it and am staring to attempt to work with databases. I came across SSD and it meets my needs exactly. So, I downloaded it. I can get the server to run just fine, but the client just gives me errors when I try to compile it. I attempted to get support but after waiting about 3 days for a response, any response. I do’t’ think I am ever going to get one.

I have been enjoying getting to know Xojo, but I have to say the whole database part of it is about driving me nuts. Not the Xojo itself. I need a client/server solution that doesn’t break me and all the different tools have got me confused. qubeSQL looks interesting, but I can’t pay 300.00 for a desktop lic and then an other 300.00 for a database lic, plus a lic for qubeSQL itself. I’m just a hobbist who has been asked by a family member with a business if I can help him. Valantina looks interesting but I can’t figure out what the heck that wold cost me. Then there are 3rd party tools like active record, that look really cool but work with this but not that. I’m lost…

I really want to give SSD a go, but can’t make it work, can’t get support. I am staring to believe that Xojo, may not be for me. So, this is my last resort. I realize that SSD is free, but if it doesn’t work and you can’t get help, what good is it?

David

Well, the SSD developer is an active member of the Xojo community so I can’t imagine what’s going on. Be patient, I suspect he’ll answer.

I don’t use SSD but what sort of errors are you getting? Without more detail it’s hard to diagnose.

As the developer for ActiveRecord it works with SQLite, MySQL, Postgres, and CubeSQL what are you trying to do? We use AR in practically all of our consulting projects. It works well for what we need it to do so it should probably do what you need.

As someone new to the community, I think you’ll find the forums to be very well mannered and helpful.

My site also offer training videos at http://www.bkeeney.com/XojoTraining/xojotraining.cgi where we have 40+ hours of Real Studio and Xojo videos with over 100 individual projects and most of them project files (we even have a couple of ActiveRecord videos). So far we’ve streamed over 7,000 hours of video.

I have been using SSD in one of my apps for almost a year now. It was compiled with Real Studio before it was renamed to Xojo.

As for response from the Developer, Brad is very active on the forums. He probably didnt see your posting.

also like what Bob said, if you can post the exact error message, we might be able to help.

Brad is also very active on Twitter in which you may want to try him @BradHutchings

[quote=63769:@David Ferguson]
I have been enjoying getting to know Xojo, but I have to say the whole database part of it is about driving me nuts. Not the Xojo itself. I need a client/server solution that doesn’t break me and all the different tools have got me confused. [/quote]

PostgreSQL
Free for any use
But you DO need a database license to build an executable to deploy
But you can do all kinds of work before that to get it up running & working for free

But you can do all kinds of work before that, to get it up running & working, for free. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the encouragement. I shall wait… I would not mind at all paying for SSD as it is isn’t outside my budget at 69.00. I just need to know that it does work. I am also interested in ARGen, Active Record. But also have looked at Storm, but I just don’t get how all these things work together or not together.

[quote=63769:@David Ferguson]Studio Stable Database, is this a dead product? I am new to Xojo, very, very new. I have been playing around with it and am staring to attempt to work with databases. I came across SSD and it meets my needs exactly. So, I downloaded it. I can get the server to run just fine, but the client just gives me errors when I try to compile it. I attempted to get support but after waiting about 3 days for a response, any response. I do’t’ think I am ever going to get one.
[/quote]

I replied on Tuesday with instructions to search for the constant kUseSSG and set it to false. Check your spam folder?

-Brad

I was not able to find a response in my spam folder. I don’t know what happened. I will send you my email in a PM here, Please try sending me an email. I set kUseSSG to false and have been able to start playing with SSD. Thanks :slight_smile:

David

Looks like your problem is solved then. Enjoy!