String, Text or something else

For background, I am trying to setup an email message but the problem doesn’t have anything to do with the email classes - I THINK

I have 2 textareas, and 1 textfield and a oMember object on a window. The oMember class contains a Last Name property, the textfield contains what will become the subject line of the email, 1 TextArea contains the body of the email message and the 2nd TextArea contains a message signature which contains the sender’s name, linefeed, phone, linefeed, and email address

[code]dim sMessage1 As String
dim sMessage2 As String
dim sMessage3 As String
dim sMessageFull As String

MailSocket.Address = sSMTPServer
MailSocket.Port = 465
MailSocket.Username = sSMTPAccount
MailSocket.Password = sSMTPPassword
MailSocket.Secure = True
MailSocket.ConnectionType = SMTPSecureSocket.TLSv1
MailSocket.SMTPConnectionMode = SMTPSecureSocket.ModeSSLTLS

sMessage1 = "Dear Mr. " + oMember.sLasttName + Chr(13) + Chr(13)
sMessage2 = taMessage.Text + Chr(13) + Chr(13)
sMessage3 = taSignature.Text // the text area contains carriage returns/line feeds
sMessageFull = sMessage1 + sMessage2 + sMessage3[/code]

when this code executes sMessageFull contains “Dear Mr. Smith” and nothing else

I’m sure STRiNG is not what I need to use here but WHAT do I use to get a formatted email message. Plain text but it does contain carriage returns or line feeds.

I have tried this using both Chr(13) and Chr(10)

thanks in advance

If I’m not misunderstanding the problem, have you tried EndOfLine instead of hard-coding the carriage-returns?

What does the debugger say about the contents of your string variables if you but a breakpoint on the line of your sMessageFull assignment?

make sure oMember.sLasttName doesn’t end in chr(0).

Are you sure? When you examine it in the debugger, what is the Length of the string? And when you examine it in binary, does it contain any stray characters? Also, what is the encoding of each piece of the string? And the final sMessageFull?

Use EndOfLine instead of these

My bad guys, I never clicked on the magnifying glass to see the contents as binary. It’s actually all there as it should be. Thanks for the help, I know I can always count on getting the answer here.