Strange Font Display in a TextField

Can’t figure out why the font of the displayed data changes if I place the TextField inside a Rectangle. Tried it with both Rectangles. I’m running RealStudio 2012 R2

Trying to display an image of this but can’t… How do I do that?

2012 R2 is a long time ago and you probably won’t get a satisfactory answer. You don’t mention which platform and version of the OS you’re using and what platform you’re building for.

You can try the latest version of Xojo without buying it and that way you can see if it has the same issue or not. If not, then the answer is simple.

Thanks Bob I have already downloaded the current version but haven’t tested this in it… but I will.

I’m on a Windows 7 pro system building for Windows.

Well it turns out it works just fine in the current version.

Seems to me though that such an “oddity” would have been discovered and rectified at that time (when ver 2012 was current).

I do plan on purchasing the current version of XoJo but only the Web version so that kinda leaves me “stranded” with this particular issue.

Reason I want to use a Rectangle is so I can have (or make it appear to have) color on a TabPanel. Why the developers of controls like TabPanel, PagePanel, ComboBox did not provide the ability to apply different colors is puzzling.

Also: there is a Windows channel: you will probably get faster / better answer.

How do you know it wasn’t corrected in the very next version to the one you are using?
2012 R2 was “RealStudio”… where R2 came out around Dec7th and R2.1 was in Jan 14 2013 (going purely by the timestamps on the files I have… so it very well could have been fixed within 5 weeks … who knows.

And if so, your license may still be valid for these.

Don’t know about Windows, but on OS X background color is not an option for NSTabView and the like (one can subclass and draw a background by overriding drawRect:, but this is discouraged, because it would irritate most OS X users).

[quote=289690:@Dave S]How do you know it wasn’t corrected in the very next version to the one you are using?
2012 R2 was “RealStudio”… where R2 came out around Dec7th and R2.1 was in Jan 14 2013 (going purely by the timestamps on the files I have… so it very well could have been fixed within 5 weeks … who knows.[/quote]

I just installed ver 2.1 and it wasn’t corrected in that version.

I guess me being a Windows only guy, I tend to forget that the focus of RealStudio and XoJo seems to be more geared to other OSes or maybe just trying to be more “multi-platform” applicable rather than paying more attention to a specific one such as Windows.

My license expired 2013-03-27 … I wonder what releases beyond 2.1 I might still be able to install and use??

Can Anyone answer that?

I’ll re-post there… thanks

[quote=289700:@Rick Yerex]My license expired 2013-03-27 … I wonder what releases beyond 2.1 I might still be able to install and use??

Can Anyone answer that?[/quote]
The next release after 2012r2.1 was Xojo 2013r1, released on 2013-06-04.

Does it happen with a Canvas instead of a Rectangle?

I would probably monitor the font and style in a timer, and if it changes, reinstate it immediately. It should work around the issue.

No and it doesn’t happen if it’s not on a TabPanel either (meaning I put the Rectangle outside the TabPanel and onto the Window itself)

OK, thanks to the feedback here I was able to come up with a workaround.

I first placed a Canvas onto the TabPanel and expanded it to the outer edges excluding the Tabs themselves.

I then placed a Rectangle onto the Canvas and expanded it out to the outer edges of the Canvas.

I could then apply color to the Rectangle Background and place my TextFields within it’s boundaries.

The displayed data in the Textfields appear as normal! geeesh