Strange behavior, sometimes

This happens to me since… ages.

Either running in the IDE or in a Standalone, I get this kind of bug:

Original window: note the vertical line from top to bottom. This is a line control that do nothing. OS X. Xojo 2015r1.

Running in the IDE, Windows 10. Pure hazard. Xojo 2016r3. (developped with 2015r1).

Most of the times, a simple quit, power off (or not) and load / run or Build and the bug disappears.

Also, usually this happens on OS X, but this time, I had the surprise.

Ideas ?

BTW: I forgot to mention that I masked the first name, family names for both father and childs. Birth dates and first names of childs are fakes: I am in debug mode.

What is the bug?
Is it that the line draws, but at an angle?

Dont know why the bug appears, but if you remove the line control and simply use

g.drawline  n_gauche,0,n_gauche,g.height 

where n_gauche is the distance from the left

it will resolve the problem.

Emile, I see it all the time. It’s been there for years. I’m sure there’s a Feedback case for it but I can’t find it, and Feedback doesn’t let you search on “line” as it’s too short.

Jeff, the bug is that after placing the line control correctly, when reloading or running the project, the line sometimes jumps to a very odd angle and position and remains there. Yes, absolutely, I could remove the line control and draw it in code, and I often end up doing that as it’s a simple solution. It is useful, however, to see the layout in the layout editor.

The line control has always kind of sucked but I suspect this is because most people probably don’t use it. It doesn’t even have locking controls. I’m not really bothered, there are bigger fish to fry and more important bugs to fix.

EDIT: the other issue is that I’ve never been able to recreate it at will. I’m sure there is some sort of pattern but it literally seems to happen randomly, making it hard for Norman to fix it.

[quote=294519:@Gavin Smith]
EDIT: the other issue is that I’ve never been able to recreate it at will. I’m sure there is some sort of pattern but it literally seems to happen randomly, making it hard for Norman to fix it.[/quote]
The only one I knew of was 45374 - but that is an “In the IDE” bug - not at runtime

For horizontal or vertical lines you can use a 1 pixel thick Rectangle.

Thank you. You said everything. It happens, in my case I can use g.DrawLine. There may be cases where using g.DrawLine is more complex (that window is not intended to be enlarged).

I am unsure, but I think I saw that in the IDE.

One think is sure, even with a Mid-2014 MacBook Pro with 8GB (RAM): better use Xojo alone than with some open application (Firefox ?). I add that to clear the Caches, etc. If the run in the IDE goes wrong (strange results), I save (if needed) and quit everything, power off, wait a bit and reboot with only Xojo.

For horizontal and vertical lines I use the Oval control instead of the Line control, which solves the issue with the line.
Height = 1 .

For obliques, a canvas works great.

The line control is really strange at runtime. Sometimes jumps away for no obvious reason.

I just get it while running the application in the IDE.

Nota: i checked that window while the application still runs (in the IDE): the line is at its correct location (vertically, top to bottom window).

I have experienced the same error. I gave up on the line control.