Still prefer the Realstudio IDE how about you?

I’ve been using the new IDE almost exclusively since it came out and I’m definitely less productive in it because of (a) the way the tabs and history work and (b) the lack of keyboard shortcuts for many common tasks. I have several requests and bug reports submitted in Feedback, but I don’t expect them to be solved any time soon.

Something as simple as hiding the Find pane with a keystroke instead of having to use the mouse is an example of inefficiencies of the new IDE: <https://xojo.com/issue/28875>

And other simple to fix, yet program-breaking bugs are still there from 7+ months ago: <https://xojo.com/issue/29175> (Yes, this case is simply to fix. Just check if the text field’s content is empty, and if it is, don’t apply the blank value to the property of the selected control(s))

The choice is to either work a little more efficiently in the old IDE, or get the new updates and features with the new IDE. For me it’s not really a choice, so I just work a bit longer to do the same things and silently hope it’ll get better.

I never used the old IDE so I suppose I have a different perspective than most. To me the Xojo IDE is perfectly usable for development however the copy/paste, back/forward and focus issues are frustrating to say the least.

I’m tempted to try the old IDE just to see what I’m missing…:wink:

I tried to use RS a few times now and I almost couldn’t. I do really like the Xojo IDE.

MUCH easier on the eyes than RS, it is quite nice looking. Navigation-wise, I can still find stuff a lot faster in RS. Compiling, Mac code I can’t tell any difference. Windows code, runs about 10% slower than the same code compiled under RS. Flickers worse on Windows with Xojo than Real Studio, some of neat workarounds I stumbled upon or came up with to squeeze out a lot of the Windows flicker are not as effective under Xojo in some places.

But, I suspect I will be on Xojo full-time by 2014r3, it is much better than my experience with it last summer and fall, before I had to put it down to work on a Visual Basic project (which I TERRIBLY miss its debugger, variables viewing and edit-and-continue).

The go from REALbasic 5.5.5 IDE to REALbasic 2005 was… hrting. I let that first IDE behind me after renewinf, 2 years after its appearance.

I do not wanted to do the same with Xojo IDE, so I use it since 2013 release 1.

I refrain myself to give any opinion on it since it will do bad to me and will not make any good for anyone. Of course, I prefer getting other new features than a new IDE, but the choice was not under my hands.

Since no one ask me what want to get in the future, I will not give the features I may love to get (64 bits: scheduled, will be late)…

Change is always difficult. But good programming calls for intellectual flexibility. This includes moving forward with the new. I have since RB 4.5 and use exclusively Xojo today.

Not me. I found the new IDE very intuitive even though I use Windows and only recently purchased an iPad to test my web apps on. There is a paradigm shift in the way development takes place, and the new IDE definitely encourages better structure, but [quote=77463:@Michel Bujardet]good programming calls for intellectual flexibility.[/quote]
is very true.

Here is how I see this topic.

I view Xojo as a company whom has created a product that tackles a lot of areas in which has packaged in a way that an end user can easily write code once and deploy to many platforms. As a byproduct of this ideology, this has forced me to become a better programmer in the long run by having me to adhere to best practices and standards on how best to implement code. A recent example of this could be threads and UI updates.

There are two things I have learned about Xojo over these past 8 years:

1. They are still here and developing strong! This in turn provides me confidence that I have picked the right vendor to develop my applications in.

2. They make decisions based on where the product needs to go in order to benefit their end users in the long run. Just the fact that the Xojo development team has to use the same tools we are using to write our applications in is more than enough incentive to have any annoyances fixed in upcoming releases.

I find both have a different set of quirks and annoyances and both have their good points.