Still prefer the Realstudio IDE how about you?

Still reverting back to the Realstudio IDE just can’t help myself. :frowning:

I’m fine with the new IDE apart from the navigator but i’m sure that will improve as that is most peoples complaint. Other than that I find it ok.

I would suggest that you should use and work with the new IDE because I suspect when we get as far as LLVM and 64bit you won’t have the option of coding in the old and building in the new. I may be wrong but my view is move forward i’ve never found it as bad as all the complaints it gets.

I’m still doing all development in RB. I tried Xojo for several days over Christmas/New Year but had to realize that it doesn’t work. One of the worst IDE I’ve ever worked with.

I really like Xojo. I couldn’t go back to Real Studio. That being said, it needs work, especially the navigator and tabs, but they’ve repeatedly said they’re aware of this. I think it’s missing a ton of keyboard shortcuts too. But it’ll get better and better, I have no doubt.

To make the navigator more usable, use folders and also use the filter at the top.

I’m no fan of the Navigator but the IDE is usable. There is a bit of a learning curve to it and you have to manage your tabs a bit to make it less confusing but it’s not impossible. I think you’ll have to be on it for a couple of weeks before you get used to it.

When asked at XDC about the IDE design issues, the engineers basically said, “yeah, we work with it every day so we feel it too.” After iOS things will probably change but the #1 priority for them for the immediate future is iOS.

Thanks Bob, that’s really good information. Both the point that Xojo engineers have to work on it too (we keep forgetting they have a vested interest as well) and that they are centering on iOS. Maybe I shoulda known that but thanks for the reminder.

i agree with Gavin.
different way of working, needs some work especially the code editor on windows, but better i feel.

just go with the new IDE.

as my grandad used to say ‘a dog that chases two rabbits, catches none’

I did some trivial work with the old IDE today and it was much, much more productive time than the new one. It’s just a smoother experience. I think it’s unfortunate that the many of UI lessons that were learned in the old IDE were not applied to the new one.

there you go then Eric. thats the rabbit to chase.

You can state you prefer the old IDE but its not going to change. So just use Xojo and you will notice it isn’t that bad at all.

Chrisoph, I’m no stranger to the new IDE. I sat down this morning just to fiddle around with an image algorithm and thought, “Do I really want to have to strap on the new IDE for this trivial little task when the old one is such a faster experience?” The new IDE offers me absolutely no advantages for this small task and is actually a hindrance, with its constant requirements to add event handlers to UI objects and sending me sailing off into the hinterlands when I try to navigate.

So - I used the old IDE, and it was the right decision. Now, when I go back and work on my larger project that compiles to Cocoa, I’ll strap on the new IDE, because Cocoa in the old IDEA is more like burnt coffee. :slight_smile:

The best way to get over hating the IDE is to use the Linux version. It is amazing how great the Mac version feels when I come back to it.

The best way to hate the new IDE more just go from the Mac or Windows version to the Linux version: gosh, it can even be worse!

For me it was very hard to force myself to use the new IDE too, and to this day it still falls short in several places.

I also recognize that those places where I feel the old IDE is superior obey to two different reasons:

-Familiarity: I used the old IDE many years. Doing things was almost muscular memory after one point. I know the old IDE like the old house you grew up with. Including the parts you avoid because they don’t work so well.

-Evolution: The old IDE was HATED when it first came out. It then evolved over several years into an efficient, productive environment you could feel very comfortable in.

The old IDE, like the dinosaurs, was a highly evolved and efficient machine, powerful and optimized for its purpose. It was also woefully unprepared for change and, thus, couldn’t face it.

The new IDE, like mammals after dinosaurs, comes from that change prepared to be more flexible and able to withstand big shifts by making itself better. We’ve seen that now, with all the changes the new IDE has finally allowed to happen in all fronts.

All things considered, I still miss the old IDE in some places but by forcing myself to use the new IDE I can make sure I’m familiarized with it enough to know when a limitation is not due to me but the IDE and I can report it accordingly (or, more frequently, see that it’s already been reported and just follow that).

Without “making the jump”, the new IDE would never be familiar enough to be useable, but by using the old IDE I’d keep distancing myself from the opportunities and doors the new IDE opens for me (and I’d be losing ground to those that made the switch already long ago).

I like the RS but Xojo is no bad

The main problem was people like iOs so xojo focus in iOs I like more best IDE and no bugs
iOs is for Xcode. Then in the future when IDE is perfect then can do iOs

Eduardo sums up my feelings very well. I remember well the flack the old IDE caught when it was first introduced. I am also finding that my productivity increased markedly once I had worked on the new IDE long enough to learn my way around.

When the old IDE was first introduced it was a LOT buggier than Xojo was when it was introduced. The problems with Xojo were/are more with basic design than outright bugs (though it has those too) so comparing both when new is a bit of an apples and oranges comparison IMO.

I have only used the new IDE for a long while now and will continue to do so since it is the future… but really still prefer the old one a good bit.

The underlying causes may be dissimilar, but the outcome is the same. The difference is that bugs can be fixed. Design errors require reimagining and reengineering, usually a much more expensive process.

I still use RS as well, but an issue has cropped with the Remote debugger that Tech Support has no idea what it is, so I may have to move Xojo whether I like it or not, because if it is a bug, it isn’t getting fixed in RS. But I have to say over the past 4-6 months, Xojo has gotten a lot cleaner, much faster on Windows and several bugs that I had reported or were aware of over the years in the Windows IDE have been addressed (only one bug in the Xojo IDE truly annoys me, and I am talking to Tech Support about now). The tabs still need work, and I miss the bookmarks badly (and I am apparently the only one from what I hear), but it is getting there. I guess as long as plop down my $495 a year for my Xojo Pro license, they’ll listen to me no matter which IDE I am in.

(and to be fair to the Xojo IDE, their are a couple of bugs in the RS IDE on Windows that really annoy me to this day that I have just learned to work around).