Still getting 'Build Failed' message

Hey there,

I have been getting this message for a while CONSTANTLY! It has really been getting on my nerves. I have tried people’s suggestions such as removing the Debug folder but it takes a lot of fiddling to get it to work. I have tried restarting the computer and Xojo numerous times. I have even tried an alternative debug path and I am still getting problems. What I am to do about this?

Thanks

Hi Oliver,
I don’t know the other thread. Do you have the problem too, if you create an empty project and click run?

[quote=153637:@Torsten Gaidies]Hi Oliver,
I don’t know the other thread. Do you have the problem too, if you create an empty project and click run?[/quote]
I have created a fresh project. Still won’t work.

Thanks

This usually happens when the build has not quit yet. You may want to verify in Task Manager that the app has exited for real.

Could happen if you are using an unconventional file system such as Dropbox to host your source, then Xojo builds there and may not have all permissions to remove it afterward.

[quote=153642:@Michel Bujardet]This usually happens when the build has not quit yet. You may want to verify in Task Manager that the app has exited for real.

Could happen if you are using an unconventional file system such as Dropbox to host your source, then Xojo builds there and may not have all permissions to remove it afterward.[/quote]
I tried removing the process. Could not find it. I am using Dropbox.

Thanks

Does it work if you move the file out of dropbox and build?

Don’t use Dropbox for your work source. Place the source on your disk to work with it, and Xojo will build on the local disk, so you will no longer have the issue. Then when you are finished working, just copy the source back in Dropbox.

That is what I tried to explain by “unconventional file system”. This problem has been documented several times in this forum.

This is a very important information. If you have problems with the IDE the best way is to go the normal way of using the IDE first.
Do you created a empty project on your local hard disk or on drop box?

Version and os might be a help here, maybe an example to try…
have you tried running as an admin?

[quote=153690:@nige cope]Version and os might be a help here, maybe an example to try…
have you tried running as an admin?[/quote]
Windows 7
2014r3.1
I will give it a try. Thanks

+1 for stop working inside Dropbox

apart from the annoying files added/files deleted after every test run, it often doesn’t sync specially if its just a small change, I used to use dropbox because I was to lazy to sort the network between my Linux machine and Windows and I often ended up with the wrong saved version specially with QT which auto saves when you build, Xojo is even worse because you can end up with the un edited version again

Dropbox is not a good solution as a poor man’s repository.

I use dropbox for working copies of Xojo code extensively and haven’t had any issues with it. I set the debug destination to a local dir in Build Settings/Shared/Debug Destination so that it won’t try to sync on every debug build.

Before I set up SVN, dropbox saved my bacon a few times - allowing me to restore older versions of code. YMMV.

And that is the magic bullet - you’re not using DropBox for your build processes.

I got it working now btw.

I tried enabling run as administrator and changing the debug path to a local directory. I am not sure if you have to do one or the other or both but that worked for me.

Thanks for everyone’s help.