Staying motivated!

Hi all! My new blog went live this morning. Motivation is never a straight line, especially when it comes to managing your business. How do YOU keep going during the tough times?

https://beyondthechaos.biz/motivation-reaching-for-excellence/

Enjoy!

Spam

Susan has been a speaker at XDC several times and often has non-coding insights and advice that developers find useful
This is not spam

Thanks @Norman Palardy ! Appreciate it!

Your content is indeed useful, just have in mind that the “general” topic is about Xojo/programming, so, could be considered as spam or violation to the forum etiquete for some people. For “non-coding” content maybe the off topic is more suitable.

Agreed @Ivan Tellez - this was misposted accidentally. Normally I post there, but wasn’t sure how to change the category! It has been changed. (I think!)

Susan,

Curious, how many people do you find fall in love with the idea of starting and owning their own business only to find once taking the leap hating every moment of it?

@Rich H - great question. I’ve not run into anyone who hates running their business. Of course, some fail. Others get in over their heads. There are also some who are extremely good at their skill but aren’t good at running an actual business. Some are actually freelancers/subcontractors and never become true business owners. But, I think all struggle with hating what they do from time to time (whether that is owning a business or just doing a job). I think with any of it, you have to educate yourself and know yourself. If you aren’t happy, MAKE A CHANGE. If I have learned nothing else by owning a business, it is that I am in charge of me and my happiness.

I think that people that don’t fall in love with having their own business go back to a full-time job rather quickly. Almost every project I’ve taken over from a Xojo consultant has been from that developer going back to a ‘real job’ for one reason or another (health issues for them or their spouse being a big one).

Having a business is tough. You have to manage so many things that some people just don’t thrive in it. Managing your income, managing prospects, managing employees (if you have them), managing products (if you have them) is, at times, no fun. Are you charging enough or too much? Are you charging enough where you can afford to retire and go on the occasional vacation? And we haven’t even mentioned are you any good at software development!

Don’t know if this is still true or not but I read that in the US 90% of businesses fail (or dissolve) in the first 2 years and then 90% of the remaining close 2 years after that.

generally a small key in life time is to change the expectant attitude.

the curve looks like after 5 years only 50% are still in businesses.
after 2 year 20% fails 80% are still there.

scroll Establishment survival
https://www.bls.gov/bdm/entrepreneurship/entrepreneurship.htm

reading this I am feeling quite old :wink: est my Business in the end of the 90ies 20 years ago, Xojo user for 11 years now and still alive and kicking :wink:

Wish u good luck with your blog and if I may add: Please do not track your visitors with the usual suspects (Google, Shortpixel et al).

I have had my own business now since 2003, I have found (like all other have, I’m sure) that there are “up” times when I’m loaded to the gills with work and there are “down” times when work is slack (or even sitting here with my proverbial thumb up my behind). It’s not hard to stay “motivated” during the “up” times when the adrenaline is flowing to make deadlines. I use the “down” time to learn new things … not just any new things, but new things that I feel confident will have a measurable probability of gaining me new business/customers. Matter of fact, that’s exactly how I dove into and learned XOJO (and 3D modeling, video editing, and, and, and …) … which has subsequently earned me a substantial amount of income over the past 4 years now with projects from my corporate clients. I view the “down” times as an opportunity to “reinvest” in my business by adding new skill sets or knowledge. By doing this, I stay just as “motivated” in the “down” times as I do in the “up” times … just for a different reason. It has worked well for me and I feel like I’m never “standing still” as a business.