SSH Help Needed

Hey guys,

If someone with some more SSH knowledge and experience can get back with me, I’d appreciate it. I am working with a customer and he is having problems with my software connecting via SSH. I’m using an SSH class that Kem Tekinay helped me develop a couple years ago. I’m connecting properly to their device. However, it’s not letting me authenticate properly and is just hanging. The SSH class uses an interactive shell for Mac and Linux (we use plink.exe for Windows). The platform my customer is running is Linux. Here’s part of the output from their console:

debug~: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug~: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS debug~: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS r e c e i v e d
debug~: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent
debug~: SSH2 MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT r e c e i v e d
debug~: Authentications that can continue: keyboard-interactive,password 
debug~: Next authentication method: keyboard-interactive
Password:

We are trying to send the login information automatically. This is all supposed to take place behind the scenes. We send the user name and password and then commands to manipulate their device. Works fine when connecting via Telnet and I have other customers using SSH with no problem. But their configuration appears different.

What I think I am reading is that the SSH server is expecting actual keyboard input before allowing the login to proceed (i.e.: next authentication method: keyboard-interactive). So since we are sending things automatically, the keyboard is not being used and the server is therefore ignoring any input. Do I have that understanding correct?

How can I change this? Is this something they need to change on the host end? Or can I do something in the launching of the SSH client in the shell? Or is there a way for Xojo to send keystrokes?

Any help is great.

Thanks,

Jon

Just out of curiosity, are you able to log in manually?

It’s a good question. I’ll ask the customer.

Yes, customer can log in when using a linux terminal and ssh.

Can anyone shed light on this? Particularly, what does:

debug~: Authentications that can continue: keyboard-interactive,password 
debug~: Next authentication method: keyboard-interactive

mean? Does it mean that the SSH server is requiring physical interaction with the keyboard of the client?

According to your first line you have two means of authentication available to you: keyboard-interactive and password

keyboard-interactive basically means that you have to send the username then wait for the server to ask for the password then send the password.

password is the older method of sending the username and password at the same time.

I can’t help much beyond that because my shop is pre-shared keys all the way.

[quote=118771:@Bob Coleman]According to your first line you have two means of authentication available to you: keyboard-interactive and password

keyboard-interactive basically means that you have to send the username then wait for the server to ask for the password then send the password.
[/quote]

I bet what must be happening then is that my code is sending the username and then sending the password without waiting long enough for the server to request the password. Gotta be something like that…