SQLite Progress

Xojo 2014r1.1 uses SQLite 3.7.17, which was released on May 20th, 2013. Twelve releases and over a year later, SQLite 3.8.5 is now available. Visit Release History Of SQLite to read about all the fixes, enhancements and new features. SQLite 3.8.5 may be too new for Xojo 2014r2 but SQLite 3.7.17 is definitely too old. If you would like to benefit from a newer version of SQLite in Xojo 2014r2 then please express that interest here and/or in the Feedback case.

<https://xojo.com/issue/29171>

[quote=96422:@Frederick Roller][/quote]

Hi Frederick,
there are a lot of issues in the TodoList for Xojo. Many of them aren’t fixed after years. I’m interessted into your points why it is more important to update the SQLite database instead of fixing real issues? In my last project SQLite works very well.

Could you explain the necessarity in your own words please.

SQLite DB functionaly needs to be both as sold and as complete as possible since it is vital for MANY projects for many of us. IMO it is core functionality.

While I know that what I say next is often untrue, it SHOULD be true in this case. At this point, updating the SQLite plugin to a more recent version shouldNOT be a lot of work for most updates and they SHOULD have an automated internal test suit for it.

Ideally there should be an SQLite plugin version update at least once a year, and for every release cycle someone should look at SQLite versions released and see it anything new there is worth doing an update for in-between the yearly updates.

With the latest known stable version.
They should have some way of updating the driver, recompile and test it in less than one afternoon (some will say one hour).

The issue here ISN’T the sqlite code base
Its the encryption code which is separately licensed
http://www.hwaci.com/sw/sqlite/prosupport.html
The old encryption code doesn’t work with the new code base

[quote=96422:@Frederick Roller]Xojo 2014r1.1 uses SQLite 3.7.17, which was released on May 20th, 2013. Twelve releases and over a year later, SQLite 3.8.5 is now available. Visit Release History Of SQLite to read about all the fixes, enhancements and new features. SQLite 3.8.5 may be too new for Xojo 2014r2 but SQLite 3.7.17 is definitely too old. If you would like to benefit from a newer version of SQLite in Xojo 2014r2 then please express that interest here and/or in the Feedback case.

<https://xojo.com/issue/29171>[/quote]
Please don’t start the exact same thread in 2 spots

Norman, close one as “repeated” and points the other.

If you read all of the conversation in the Beta channel you would know that I was asked to make it more public, so I did. If you would like to merge the conversations or lock the other one with a reference to this one then please do.

It should have been public from the start and we could have moved it to Databases but can’t merge threads
I’ll copy & paste my reply to some points raised there on this thread

[quote=96532:@Frederick Roller]When can we expect a newer version of SQLite in Xojo?
[/quote]
When we get updated encryption code from Dr. Hipp - we have no influence on how fast that happens

Then its very important to you that we use the compatible encryption code with the updated sqlite code

I’d love to give you a date - I just cannot as we don’t control the code there

This is what I expected - I just want people to be very aware that to use the same encryption as we use they would be required to pay the license fee and compile their own sqlite. And right now they would be in the same boat as us and NOT be able to update to the very latest since Dr. Hipp has not updated the encryption code for the very latest versions of sqlite.

We update this as frequently as we can but we HAVE skipped some versions as they have had serious bugs
And right now we can’t because of what I noted with the encryption code & base sqlite code issues
And that’s out of our control

[quote=96540:@Norman Palardy]It should have been public from the start and we could have moved it to Databases but can’t merge threads
I’ll copy & paste my reply to some points raised there on this thread[/quote]
Agreed, understood and appreciated.

Indeed it is.

[quote=96540:@Norman Palardy]We update this as frequently as we can but we HAVE skipped some versions as they have had serious bugs
And right now we can’t because of what I noted with the encryption code & base sqlite code issues
And that’s out of our control[/quote]
Thank you Norman for explaining.

Yes, thanks.

Just wanted everyone to understand that this is not just us dragging our feet
We’d love to - just can’t AND continue to make things work as expected

Has this issue been resolved yet ?

Yes.