SQLite Database Encryption Issue

[quote=156386:@Markus Winter]AES = Advanced Encryption Standard

The implementation should not effect the outcome. If it does then that would violate the standard and would be a bug, wouldn’t it?[/quote]
Well that is just the standard on the encryption itself. The standard does not say how it applies to the database. Is it on the field level? table level? database level? file level? Those are implementation details that make a difference just to name a few.

Then it should be a selectable setting, maybe “level”.

I still think this is an insane situation.

Markus, you might think it is insane (not saying one way or another) but it is what it is. Unless everyone is going to buy Hipp’s SEE plugin(? or is it a module?) for encryption, then we will be in the same boat. If we have two vendors implementing encryption of the database then they will do it separately. Unless all vendors agree on who they are going to implement it. And I seriously doubt it will happen.

sb

Anyone willing to pitch in on the US$2,000 to get Xojo to compile us a SQLite3.dll, with the SEE plugin, so we can drop that into the other manipulation programs that we use (like Navicat)? (I promise, I won’t hold my breath.)

Mmm I guess there is a Plugin for that… I wonder why Christian is so quiet :wink:

https://www.mbsplugins.de/archive/2015-01-03/Use_SQLCipher_with_MBS_SQL_Plu

oh, sorry. I don’t read all threads.

MBS SQL Plugin can load any sqlite compatible DLL.
So if you built SQLite + SSE as DLL, you can use that with my plugin in Xojo. No problem.
In my plugin blog I show how to do it with SQLCipher by building a copy of the open source variant in Mac.

I guess the kicker is someone building the SQLite3.dll with SSE. Just looking for any takers.

Doesn’t that need to be one of the people who paid for the SSE extension!?

You’re right, Christian. I would be nice if Xojo would do it!

That would be a violation of the license:
http://www.hwaci.com/sw/sqlite/license-see.html

Agreed. Can’t afford the 2K myself. The best outfit to do it is Navicat. It’s their software that I want to use.

I ran into this issue as well. I can encrypt databases in Navicat and open them fine. And I can do it in Xojo as well. But trying to read each other’s encrypted database, just doesn’t work. When I try,In Xojo, Connect( ) returns False and in Navicat, after it prompts me for the password, it pops up a little window that says the file is either encrypted or not a database file…and won’t open it.

I own a copy of SQLitemanager, but I am too used to Navicat to want to switch. Roadblocks, roadblocks, roadblocks…

I bet if enough of us asked the folks at Navicat, they might add it. (I use it too)

[quote=156385:@Norman Palardy]This has more to do with HOW the encryption is incorporated to the engine than whether its using AES-128 / 256 etc.
They each do it slightly differently which is what makes them incompatible with each other.[/quote]

I wouldn’t count on it. I own two copies of Navicat for SQLite (Windows and Mac versions) and have paid up front for 3 years of support/maintenance through June 2016. Logged 2 support tickets simply asking them what icon set they used in the Windows version and couldn’t even get a Response. Not even a sniff to my final entry in the ticket: “Look if you can’t tell me that’s fine, just let me know and we can close this ticket out”.

Not holding my breath here. Great tool, but not getting any more maintenance money out of me if this is the best they got.

[quote=165247:@Merv Pate]I wouldn’t count on it. I own two copies of Navicat for SQLite (Windows and Mac versions) and have paid up front for 3 years of support/maintenance through June 2016. Logged 2 support tickets simply asking them what icon set they used in the Windows version and couldn’t even get a Response. Not even a sniff to my final entry in the ticket: “Look if you can’t tell me that’s fine, just let me know and we can close this ticket out”.

Not holding my breath here. Great tool, but not getting any more maintenance money out of me if this is the best they got.[/quote]
That’s strange. I have filed several bug reports in the last year, all of which have been fixed, and two of my feature requests have been implemented.

Logged tickets that I could look at. I am not saying they don’t jump on bugs or feature requests. I am saying they didn’t respond to either of my tickets.