Speeding up Xojo IDE

I went with 64bit since my CPU is 64 bit… I’ll try a different WM to see if that helps. Worst case, I’ll go with 32bit LM17 and see if that helps. Thats the only drawback now…just the slowness of the IDE. Other than that, pleased with the software.

Norman:

As a Linux user since '92…I dont agree. I think if you have a product that doesnt perform properly under an OS you market it for, then you should have an answer as to why. Personally, I dont care what OS people use. I’m Pro-UNIX and Linux…thats what I use at work and what I use at home on everything.

I started Linux with red Hat, then went Mandrake (slackware), used Ubuntu for a while, and was elated when I saw Mint.

My main use being Xojo, I stick to 32 bits to avoid the possible mishaps I endured with Ubuntu 14.4 64 bits. Could it be that running 32 bits applications in LM 64 bits in what amounts to a sort of virtual environment be the source of the slowdown ? The nice thing with VMs is that trying 32 bits LM is easy.

The Xojo IDE’s so intolerably slow on my Ubuntu Studio (XFCE) laptop that it’s unusable.

Michel:

Good point. I’ll install this under LM17 32bit under VirtualBox. At this point, I just need something thats much quicker. My desktop is specifically for Xojo only. I’ll reply back after I do this.

Ok… I’ve been using Xojo with LM 17 32bit. Still slow. There needs to be a list of “Xojo is very responsive with these Linux distributions:”. I’m hesitant to buy a product that runs so slow on a fast system.

Mint was one of the better responding ones. But that was Mint 16 at the time Kevin wrote his summary.
Not sure what changed to make that no longer be true.
At least thats what Kevin found less than 6 months ago.
https://forum.xojo.com/10806-xojo-perf-varies-greatly-by-distro

BUT - “something” in Mint changed - not Xojo - to make it no longer fast. Darned if I know what.
And you can see how changes in the OS and/or its graphics have a huge impact on the IDE.

nah. I dont believe that at all. Its slow under Debian also. There needs to be a list of what distro Xojo runs well under. If you wanna make money…then again… I dont buy what I dont like. Unfortunately for Xojo, this will probably be the only software I write with it because of the lack of speed.

This speed issue under Mint 32 bits is bizarre. How come would I and other members find Xojo 2014R2.1 quite usable, on par with the Windows version, and you report it as slow on a machine you quote as fast ? My PC is a 3.1 GHZ AMD double core that is going on 4 years, not a blazing race horse at all.

This whole inconsistency is troubling. It cannot be just a matter of perception. It would be interesting to have a downloadable benchmark one could run on his machine to compare with others. This would help objectify the issue. Since the problem seems to exist only for the IDE and AFAIK has not been reported for compiled programs, would it be possible to create an IDE script to that effect ?

This could even allow comparisons between different platforms.

Just an idea …

If you’re really interested I can probably make a video and upload it to youtube temporarily, then delete it.

Do or dont … really doesn’t matter. It exists.
I’ve seen it on various distros
Ubuntu 10.04 was decent, 11.04 was … a joke, 12.04 was ok, 13.04 myth and its finally starting to get back to almost useable.
Using the same version of Xojo nothing in the product changed but the underpinnings changed dramatically. And it suffered.

Not sure what might have changed but Mint with XFCE reportedly ran decent under Mint 16.
What desktop are you running ?
That matters when it comes to linux.

Cinnamon.

To me…I dont care what distro I use. My desktop is specifically for Xojo and downloading torrents (for various linux distros, of course). LOL

EDIT:
for example…I’m quitting Xojo now… pegs my cpu at 100% usage.

The simplest of IDE scripts :

dim i as integer dim t as double t = microseconds for i = 0 to 100 next print(str((microseconds-t)/1000000))

I am on the Mac at this late European hour.

Result : 3.611 seconds.

Tomorrow I’ll run that in my Linux machine.

[quote=128239:@alex bartonek]Cinnamon.

To me…I dont care what distro I use. My desktop is specifically for Xojo and downloading torrents (for various linux distros, of course). LOL

EDIT:
for example…I’m quitting Xojo now… pegs my cpu at 100% usage.[/quote]

Theres something not right
We’ve got a fair number of users using it on Linux and while its not as quick as OS X its not pegging folks CPU’s at 100%
But I can’t tell you what

You say you are running this under a VM. How much memory are you allowing the VM to use?

Not a vm. This is on a desktop.

Intel Core 2 Duo 6300 1.8ghz, 4GB ram, Linux Mint 17 32bit.

dim i as integer dim t as double t = microseconds for i = 0 to 100 next msgbox(str((microseconds-t)/1000000))

returns 0.000053

[quote=128302:@alex bartonek]Not a vm. This is on a desktop.
Intel Core 2 Duo 6300 1.8ghz, 4GB ram, Linux Mint 17 32bit.
returns 0.000053[/quote]

You did not understand, you result and the use of msgbox show you simply ran this as a program.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. IDE Script is a particular subset of Xojo one can use to automate the IDE. See User Guide-Framework, starting page 203. As it is essentially an automaton of the IDE, I think it is a good way to measure the actual speed of the IDE.

To run the script,

• go File/IDE SCripts/New Script
  • Paste the code I post again below
  • Click the Right pointing green triangle “Run” in the toolbar

The result will be displayed in a msgbox.

Since this script automates the IDE like if a user was doing it, it is much slower. But it gave me the occasion to compare machines and systems. The PC is the same for Windows and Linux Mint 32 bits Cinnamon.

• Mac/Mavericks 10.9.5 : 3.611 seconds
  • PC/Windows 8.1 64bits : 3.4 seconds
  • PC/Linux Mint Cinnamon 32 bits : 2.1 seconds !

I wrote above I found the IDE was faster under LM than under Windows. Not only is it faster in this test than Windows, but a lot faster than under Mac OS X. Frankly, I would have bet Mac would end up fastest, and would have lost my wager.

Once again, using an objective comparison leads to verifiable results which tend to disprove the rumor that Windows and Linux IDE are slower than the Mac one. It is just the opposite, at least within the parameters of that very short benchmark.

Now, I would love to know what happens on your particular configuration.

dim i as integer dim t as double t = microseconds for i = 0 to 100 next print(str((microseconds-t)/1000000))

aah…got it…

2.000 - Debian 7.6 64bit

[quote=128317:@alex bartonek]aah…got it…

2.000 - Debian 7.6 64bit[/quote]

Now it seems the results are on par with my experience. At least from the test, there is no sensible difference, and once again, this is faster than Mac or Windows.

So how does the slowness you experience manifest ? Is it in typing ? Is it in compiling ? Is it in moving windows and controls ? Something else ?

The 100% CPU is not uncommon when an app starts, but it generally quickly recedes afterward. Is it not the case here ?