Speeding up Xojo IDE

I’m running Xojo v2014 R2 on a Core i5 system under Debian 7.6. Xojo is very slow while using the IDE. Is there a way to speed it up?

Maybe take a peek at: https://forum.xojo.com/1448-linux-ide-editor-very-slow it is an active discussion right now.

He has posted the very same question there one hour ago already :wink:

Unfortunately, no more magic recipe …

FWW: The Xojo GUI for OSX is way faster compared to the Windows version.

True. In addition Windows 8 especially has a very bad habit : if you leave an app unattended for a minute, it will put it away in virtuel memory, and it will then take seconds for it to put it back in RAM. You got an SSD so it may not show too much, but that is the reason why I turned of VM.

As far as Linux is concerned, I liked Ubuntu but it was so inherently slow, I went with Mint which is far zippier, and kid you not, it is faster than the Windows version. Speed in Linux varies largely based on the graphic environment used for the GUI. That said, there are many how to tweaks posted on the Internet that may work ; I simply have never needed them.

Well, today I did upgrade to 16GB RAM… and the difference is striking. It seems Windows 8.1 is RAM hungry. I mean ,8GB should be enough to keep it running smootly but it doesn’t.
With 16GB everything is snappier imo (still not OSX speed though). Best 140eur I spend

[quote=122659:@Christoph De Vocht]Well, today I did upgrade to 16GB RAM… and the difference is striking. It seems Windows 8.1 is RAM hungry. I mean ,8GB should be enough to keep it running smootly but it doesn’t.
With 16GB everything is snappier imo (still not OSX speed though). Best 140eur I spend[/quote]

I will probably have to do the same. I looked at the task monitor the other day, and the RAM situations is actually much worse than a mere 0.5 GB for the system. All in all, after all the background stuff and utilities have been loaded, they have gobbled 1.98 GB. What a mess.

[quote=122654:@Michel Bujardet]True. In addition Windows 8 especially has a very bad habit : if you leave an app unattended for a minute, it will put it away in virtuel memory, and it will then take seconds for it to put it back in RAM. You got an SSD so it may not show too much, but that is the reason why I turned of VM.

As far as Linux is concerned, I liked Ubuntu but it was so inherently slow, I went with Mint which is far zippier, and kid you not, it is faster than the Windows version. Speed in Linux varies largely based on the graphic environment used for the GUI. That said, there are many how to tweaks posted on the Internet that may work ; I simply have never needed them.[/quote]
I have W8. Do you recommend I turn off VM?

Well. All depends how you use your machine. The fact that it takes seconds for an app that has been in the back to come back to the forefront is really aggravating to me. This manifests especially with Start Menu 8 : waiting some like five seconds after clicking on the start button is frankly ridiculous. Without the virtual memory, it is instant.

Now all is a question of how much applications you run. With no virtual memory and 4 GB RAM, as I wrote, basic programs already take 1.98 GB so remains a approximately 2 GB. All I can run before Windows warns about short memory is Xojo, Chrome, Programmer’s Editor and Internet Explorer. With Virtual Memory I never have to worry. If I had 8 or 16GB it probably would not be an issue. So the answer is not clear cut. I rather have speed, so I turned of VM. If I had many applications to run at the same time, I would turn it back on.

Anyway, you can always try and see if it works for you. If it does not, then turn the VM back on.

[quote=122679:@Michel Bujardet]Well. All depends how you use your machine. The fact that it takes seconds for an app that has been in the back to come back to the forefront is really aggravating to me. This manifests especially with Start Menu 8 : waiting some like five seconds after clicking on the start button is frankly ridiculous. Without the virtual memory, it is instant.

Now all is a question of how much applications you run. With no virtual memory and 4 GB RAM, as I wrote, basic programs already take 1.98 GB so remains a approximately 2 GB. All I can run before Windows warns about short memory is Xojo, Chrome, Programmer’s Editor and Internet Explorer. With Virtual Memory I never have to worry. If I had 8 or 16GB it probably would not be an issue. So the answer is not clear cut. I rather have speed, so I turned of VM. If I had many applications to run at the same time, I would turn it back on.

Anyway, you can always try and see if it works for you. If it does not, then turn the VM back on.[/quote]
I also use Start Menu 8 and it is annoying to wait.

Thanks

[quote=122646:@Michel Bujardet]He has posted the very same question there one hour ago already :wink:

Unfortunately, no more magic recipe …[/quote]

Reading comprehension is not your forte. I didnt, actually.

No need to question my reading abilities. The alex bartonenk in https://forum.xojo.com/1448-linux-ide-editor-very-slow must be a clone, then.

Michel:
not to nitpick…but yes…that is me in the other thread, but I was making a statement, not asking a question. :slight_smile:

At any rate…

I have a Core2 Duo desktop here…installed Linux Mint 17 64-bit and the latest Xojo… DEFINITELY FASTER! Ok…this is good. :slight_smile:

Thanks guys for the help. Very much appreciated!

[quote=123027:@alex bartonenk]I have a Core2 Duo desktop here…installed Linux Mint 17 64-bit and the latest Xojo… DEFINITELY FASTER! Ok…this is good. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

I was teasing. Making a statement is calling for a solution.
Glad to read Mint works for you. And that Xojo works right away in the 64 bits Mint 17 distro, which is a PITA in Ubuntu 14.4 64 bits. What prompted me to switch to Mint in the first place.

I havent actually tested any functionality other than checking the speed of creating buttons on a window, copy-n-paste buttons, moving items. Its definitely faster, some slowdown is still noticeable, but nothing like under Debian 7.6. I’m assuming its related to the default window manager that comes with Debian 7.6.

Well…I guess I spoke too soon. I dont know why it runs slower on my new config…but its slow. There was an update to LM17 though. This is an example of slow application development. It should be blazing on my core2duo desktop.

The variations in behavior on Linux seem to be related to distro & ui manager in use - some run the IDE fast some run it slowly.
Welcome to the reality that too many choices is actually more, not less, confusing and difficult to support.

Personally its why I think Linux distros have not taken over the world - too many choices too many options & that causes paralysis.
http://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice?language=en

Are you using Cinnamon ?

Michel: Yes.

You suggest something different ?

[quote=126384:@alex bartonek]Michel: Yes.

You suggest something different ?[/quote]

No. I was just wondering if another GUI could be the source of the slow down you report. My experience with the 32 bit version is of a snappy IDE on a relatively old AMD PC.