Speed ??of a xojo web app on mobiles

Hello,

Very surprisingly, I feel that the fastest mobiles with an xojo web application are Windows Phone (IE10)!!

Touch actions are highly reactive, and the display is faster than Android (chrome, firefox) and IOS (safari).
With my app, there is a real difference.
(and yet my Windows Phone is far less powerful than my Android and IOS devices)

IOS is not faster than Android to display speed, but IOS is much slower for touch reactivity. :frowning:

Its interesting you say that as I have been doing some testing of my web app on mobile and I use the Mouse Up event over the Action event where possible and I really cant see any difference as they all seem very responsive. It would be interesting to do the same test with a msgbox instead of the page show to see if the problem is with the click or the resulting pages.

There are some things that can be done to make WebKit mobile browsers more responsive. They kinda fall under ā€œhacking the DOMā€. Throw some points at this bug:

<https://xojo.com/issue/23681>

Iā€™ve incorporated fixes for this into Web Essentials.

Using the mouse down event with mobiles is a bad idea because the event carries through onto subsequent pages therefore it is much safer to use the mouse up event. I have done a lot of testing on mobile devices (admittedly not with Xojo) and the mouse down never works correctly and is too responsive if you have events for items that are in the same location on multiple pages.

Please add that to the feedback case. Thus far, it hasnā€™t even been verified, but everyone runs into it. I guess I shouldnā€™t complain.

On the iPad I found that the response of the JavaScript TouchStart event is instant while the JavaScript MouseDown event has a huge delay (compared to TouchStart). Not sure how the Xojo framework implemented MouseDown, but maybe TouchStart event could potentially be used to improve things?

yes, itā€™s crazy that this is not the case! :-((

Thanks to Brad code (using Touchstart instead of mousedown / up), it works! :slight_smile: This is much faster.

But I do not like mix of native and added events in WE (it is also a lot of work). I hope it will not cause side effects.

I feel that Google has solved the problem for a long time on Android (Chrome) right? But on IOS, responsiveness is a big problem with Xojo web app.

[quote=77064:@olivier vidal]But I do not like mix of native and added events in WE (it is also a lot of work). I hope it will not cause side effects.
[/quote]

In the end, itā€™s all JavaScript, with no portion of rocket science at all. You have the source code for the adjustments and can look at the whole thing with browser debuggers. Please add points to my feedback case. Iā€™d rather this issue at least be verified than have to provide a workaround to it.

yes, I did, this is important. :slight_smile:
I think this case should have a lot more points, but people do not think itā€™s a bug! (this was my case)

WebEssential is really rich. it helped me in many areas. :slight_smile: You should talk to all these benefits on your site, not only custom controls. This is a big advantage. For cons, the code is pretty tough for a beginner.

Thanks for the kind words. I never claimed it was easy though ;-). On that bug in particular, I had a customer who told me that if I couldnā€™t use development toolkits that work, heā€™d find another developer. I valued his business and asked him to find me that toolkit while I tried to figure out how to work around the WebKit mobile issue and still keep us running on desktop, Firefox, etc. A week later, he was happy with my judgement about these things again.

Yes, but since I realized that I had problems with this code:

https://forum.xojo.com/10905-plans-for-xojo-web/p1#p78705

Iā€™m careful with the javascript code that I added! It is not always easy to understand interactivity, the order of execution, etc. of JavaScript code executed by the xojo framework and javascript code we add manually.