Special Characters rather than Graphics for WebApp

For web applications, graphics can take a long time to load. If I want to use some simple icons, I am wondering if I can speed up the load process by using special characters instead of graphic icons.

If this is possible, then I assume I need to create a font for this purpose? I can’t recall how fonts are rendered in browsers - are they rendered from server fonts, or do they depend on local client fonts?

Is this scheme of using characters rather than graphic icons even feasible?

Thoughts?

Why do you want to reinvent the wheel? See Font Awesome .

Excellent! Only because I didn’t know the wheel existed.

OK - I am going to see if I can get a bit of hand-holding here. The steps below are tough for me to follow given they are not written for a Xojo environment. Can someone translate for me, or provide some clarity on how to leverage Font Awesome in a Xojo Web App?

The Font Awesome documentation offers the following:

Paste the following code into the section of your site’s HTML.

And additional info:

Font Awesome works just as well without Bootstrap.
Copy the font-awesome directory into your project.
Follow the above directions and skip the Bootstrap parts.
Open your project’s font-awesome.less or font-awesome.min.css and edit the font location to point it to your font directory (see above examples).

Does anyone know what steps I need to take to leverage Font Awesome characters?
Even just a list of the high level steps would be helpful.

It is not best practice to use the proposed solution, because you need to download a huge font file which it includes all the icons. Then you call them by a css class. It is better to load all the needed icons on application startup and set the session to nil. Means, that if you have already downloaded on client, it is not going to request again.

BR/Antonis